Chapter 14

You all had been wandering aimlessly around in the tunnels for hours now with no clue of discovering anything about the new evil. You were sweating heavily, and the further you seemed to travel, the hotter the tunnels seemed to get. They were no longer cold, seeping into your bones. It seemed as hot as if the sun was bearing down on you itself here and now. You wiped your forehead, breathing out a long sigh. You could tell the rest of the group wasn’t holding as well either; Gimli was walking as slow as a snail, Aragorn was staggering slightly, and Legolas seemed to be the only one who was keeping a keen eye and ear around them. He didn’t seem as affected, but, then again, he was an elf. But he was still sweating, you could see it. 

  “How long are we goin’ to walk around this cursed cave?” Gimli complained loudly. “It has been hours, aye, hours, and we have found nothing since the supposed prophecy. I say we leave this place and return to the forest.”

  “I advise otherwise, my friend,” Legolas said. “There is a dark presence in these tunnels; I can feel it.”

  “We shall not stop until we find it,” Aragorn agreed.

  “But what if it's stalking us?” Gimli said, looking over his shoulder paranoidly. “We would never know. It could attack us any moment.”

  “And I’m sure if it did it would go straight for the loud-talking dwarf,” you said sarcastically.

  Gimli shot you a serious look, or as close as a dwarf could look serious without looking amusingly innocent. “I am serious, Y/n! These tunnels are uncharted territory, you never know what could lurk in here…”

  Suddenly the ground began to shake, and you let out a yelp and clutched the wall in an attempt to not fall over, which you failed. You hit the ground hard, and you curled into a ball, praying for it to be over and watching helplessly as everyone else staggered around, clutching the walls. At last the trembling came to a sudden stop, and you uncurled yourself, looking around you with confusion. “What was that?”

  Gimli had also fallen to the ground, and he staggered to his feet, grumbling loudly. “I told you! It stalks us!”

  Aragorn rushed over to you and helped you up, and you wobbled a bit as you stood. “Thanks,” you said. He nodded, then looked around at the others. 

  “What was that?” he said.

  “The shadow! It’s stalking us!” Gimli yelped.

  “We heard you the first time, Gimli,” you sighed, rolling your eyes. “Any other opinions?”

  “The vines?” Legolas suggested. “They move through the tunnels.”

  Aragorn turned his grey-brown eyes on you. “Can you contact it?” he asked.

  You frowned, concentrating. Closing your eyes, you breathed, reaching out to other life forms around you. You felt a familiar presence probing around as well and recognised Legolas’. You probed around a little more, and it didn’t take long for you to feel the vines' shadowy presence. But it was not welcoming. It was dark, very dark, and not a single word was uttered from it. It screeched, filling your mind with the horrible sound. You clutched your head and fell to your knees, gritting your teeth. You felt pain seering your skull, and you let out an ear-splitting scream which you could barely hear over the sound of the vine’s shrieking. You vaguely heard someone screaming your name, but you couldn’t focus on it. Suddenly the sound stopped abruptly, and the headache subsided. You felt tears running down your cheeks, and you were breathing heavily. You felt a gentle hand on your shoulder, bringing you back to reality. You opened your eyes and looked up into the worried eyes of Aragorn.