Chapter 5

You awoke to the sounds of voices calling your name, and you slowly opened your eyes. A river lay before you, lit by and the silent events of the previous night came rushing back. You and Legolas by the river, and the incredibly long story of the Fellowship and the mission and feeling Legolas' arm around you—hold on, you could still feel it. You looked to your right to see Legolas leaning on you, and you on him, fast asleep. He had his arm draped around you, keeping you somewhat warm. At the sound of Aragorn's call again, though, he blearily opened his eyes. Upon seeing you, he leapt to his feet, snatching his arm away, hiding his gaze. You did the same, and you both stood there awkwardly, wondering what to do and comprehending what had just happened. So you'd kept Legolas company overnight, so what? ...And maybe had snuggled with him overnight, but that wasn't anything terrible, was it? Sure, it was a little embarrassing... Aragorn called your name again and you turned towards the sound. Legolas did the same, and Aragorn appeared from the trees, Gimli behind him. He stopped when he saw the both of you, and his eyes flashed with relief.

"I was beginning to think you'd deserted us," Aragorn said, walking over to you.

"Me? Desert you guys? Never." You flashed him your best cocky grin, which earned you a smile.

"Legolas, laddie," Gimli puffed. "Where've you been all night?"

Legolas shot a quick glance at you. "Watching the river," he responded, somehow convincing.

Aragorn narrowed his eyes a bit, clearly not buying it. But he didn't question it further. "We must head out now, get to Mirkwood as soon as possible."

Legolas seemed more than happy to agree. "Let us go." He left the three of you, bounding away into the woods towards the camp.

Aragorn turned his gaze on you. "What happened overnight?" he whispered.

You couldn't help the red that rose to your cheeks. "O-overnight?" you stammered. "Oh, nothing happened. I just...kept him company is all. We watched the river, then yup. Just yup. Nothing happened."

Now this clearly and definitely did not convince Aragorn. He raised an eyebrow, unconvinced. "Is that so?"

"Yep. That's so so." Wow. When you listen to yourself you really do sound lame.

Aragorn cast one more suspicious look at you, then turned and followed Legolas. Gimli had watched the small exchange, and he let out a big, huffed laugh. Then he set off running after Aragorn. You watched them go, your face hot. You really needed to work on your grammar. You sprinted after them.

You eventually arrive at the camp with the others, the run through the forest refreshing your mind. Aragorn gathered all the supplies and strapped it back to the horses, and the other three mounted their horses/ponies. Legolas avoided eye contact with you, and you couldn't blame him. You felt just as silly. Though it wasn't so bad, was it? It was just a little snuggle and sleep... For an elf, that was probably a bad thing. If King Thranduil got the slightest news of this, Legolas would probably be thrown in the dungeon. Oh, wait a minute. He's probably about to be thrown in a dungeon anyway. Oh well, nevermind then. You realised that everyone had mounted except you, and you looked up at the three horsemen, who were looking down at you, except for Legolas.

"Are you going to mount, Y/N?" Aragorn asked.

"Uh, sure..." You pretended to look between the three of them. "Um...which one?"

"Same as last, milady," Gimli said, a teasing glint to his eye. You groaned inwardly. Legolas wouldn't even look at you, and they wanted you to ride with him? ~groan~