Chapter 17

The moon was still high in the sky when they reached the small hill above the hobbit home. They were directly on top of the home, and Aragorn silently jumped down into the garden. Legolas followed instantly after, then Gimli, quite unceremoniously. You followed, landing with a quiet thump beside a bunch of blue flowers. Aragorn waved everyone over by the door, and you and the others all crowded beside it. Aragorn locked eyes with you. "Are you sure this is the place?"

"Yes, I am sure," you replied. "Couldn't be more sure."

Aragorn held your gaze for a moment longer then slowly turned the knob of the door, and it creaked open. You cringed, the door sounding like a cannonball exploding in the quiet of the night. Aragorn rushed inside, and Legolas and Gimli followed. You slid inside, checking behind you before closing the door silently. You turned and, seeing what you saw, felt your heart warm.

The small hobbit home was everything you could have hoped for. You had this vague memory that you'd always wanted to see a hobbit home, and you'd seen them in the movies, but nothing could have prepared you for this moment. The walls were curved to create a curved ceiling, and the ground was flat and wooden. In fact, all the walls were wooden, and nearly everything else was too, including the various shelves screwed into the walls. The wood was a lovely red-brown colour, giving the home a warm and welcoming feeling. A couple couches were positioned near a window, and a desk was seated in a room whose door was wide open. You breathed in the smell, the beautiful hobbit home smell. You would never forget this. But you had more pressing matters now. You crept to the door with the desk and peered inside, but no one was there. You turned to the others and shook your head, and everyone moved down a hall. You were about to follow, but hesitated a split second before. A dark presence was here. The shadow was here, in this home. You shuddered and drew your knife, rushing to catch up with the others. You tapped Gimli's shoulder as you reached them, whispering, "He's here."

Gimli stiffened and passed on the word to the others, and each of them drew their weapons: Aragorn, his sword, Legolas, his daggers, Gimli, his axe. You all advanced upon a room where soft snoring arose from. Aragorn peered in, then reappeared a moment longer, nodding. 'He's in here' he mouthed. Feeling relieved that you'd all finally found Sam, you all entered the room quickly but nonetheless careful.

A soft snoring was the only sound heard in the room besides the near-silent footsteps creaking the wood beneath them. A small desk was set up near a window, and a couple of shelves set next to it. A bed was also set beside the desk, at least a metre away from it, and upon that bed lay Sam. His mouth was open and he snored loudly, completely out of it. Aragorn crept across the room to Sam's bedside and gently shook the hobbit's shoulder. Sam groaned and turned over, facing away from Aragorn. Aragorn sighed and shook his shoulder again.

"Sam, it's Aragorn," Aragorn whispered. "You need to wake up. Now."

"Go away Frodo, just five more minutes..." Sam mumbled, holding his blanket closer.

Aragorn sighed again and looked helplessly at Legolas. The elf shrugged, looking just as helpless as Aragorn looked. You shook your head in half amusement and frustration. This was going great. You walked over to Sam's bedside on the opposite side of Aragorn, and shook Sam roughly. Sam's eyes flew open and he sat up like a bolt of lightning, eyes wide with alert. You clamped your hand over his mouth, and his eyes landed on you with terror. Oh. That's right. He didn't know you. You gestured with your hand over to where the three members of the Fellowship stood, and slowly withdrew your hand away from his mouth. His eyes widened even more as he saw his friends.

"Aragorn?" Sam breathed. "Gimli! Mr Elf! I-I can't believe it's really you! What are you doing here?" Sam shook his head in annoyance with himself, then quickly got out of bed and grabbed a dressing gown, wrapping it around himself. "Where are my manners. Can I get something for you?"