Chapter 53

"What do you want?" Eli asked sternly.

The inside of the limousine was furnished with the most expensive tan leather seats and mahogany panels. We were far too filthy, especially after our evening run through the forest to be touching such pristine wealth. Towards the front an imposing bodyguard sat watching us, filling the entire rearing facing row with his enormous body. Eli sat beside me on the window facing bench seat while Naito sat mockingly at the back as the limousine rolled away with his arms and legs spread out.

"Simple, several congressmen need to be put back in their places," Naito responded confidently.

"And you can't get someone else to do this for you because?" Eli narrowed his eyes.

"No one quite has the knack for it like you do," Naito shrugged. "I know you can get the job done swiftly and smoothly."

"And if he refuses?" I butted in.

Naito frowned, "Abazure-"

"Damare!" Eli snapped.

"Your grandfather did a shit job teaching you to show respect," Naito clicked his tongue. "Many men would sacrifice much to be allowed back into our good graces."

"Even after you used them as a scapegoat?" I pointed out.

"It's his fault for getting caught," Naito retorted.

"And you have a funny way of negotiating. Did your own grandfather teach you that? Or is that why he's got you coming out to upstate New York in the middle of the night to grovel to Eli for his help?" I mocked.

Eli took my hand and gave it a squeeze, but I wasn't sure if that was a supportive squeeze or a 'please don't make the situation worse'.

"I am not groveling!" Naito sat upright defensively. "I am more than happy to have this limo pull over and you can go back on your way."

"Could've had me fooled," I scoffed. "The answer is no, by the way. So please do have your driver pull over."

"Shosho omachi kudasai," Eli interrupted suddenly. I had no idea what he said, but by the tone of his voice he sounded somewhat apologetic. He leant over and whispered in my ear, "He'll have the car stop on the edge of a cliff."

Naito must've overheard what Eli said to me because he grinned and winked at me, "Or we could just drop you off at the closest FBI office. Let me remind you that you're the one who asked for help, ojou-chan. I don't help for free."

Eli tried to muffle a groan, "I'll get you the dirt, your guys can handle the rest."

"Nope, your job isn't over until those congressmen are back in line," Naito sipped from his whiskey glass.

"And how do you decide they're back in line?" I interjected.

"There are some things in life you just know," he smiled devilishly. His response unnerved me.

"What is this really about?" Eli grimaced. "You have a hundred and one ways to get those congressmen back in line, why me?"

Naito's expression soured, "Eli, out of respect of your grandfather, take the bone."

"I told you I was done," Eli reiterated.

Naito threw his whiskey glass against the window, shattering it to pieces, "No one is ever done! Yakuza is life!"

"Eli is done!" I gritted my teeth.

In one swift movement Naito pulled a knife from his ankle holster, raised it above his head then brought it down where my hand had been resting on the seat if Eli had not grabbed my arm a split second earlier. I stared speechlessly at the sharp blade that had pierced the leather as if it was made of butter.