Chapter 4

I don't think I ever leapt forwards so fast in my life. I somehow managed to squeeze through as the doors were closing. It was a miracle the doors didn't catch my backpack. I don't want to even consider what might have happened if the staff didn't notice and I was dragged down the platform. Would I have been able to get out of my backpack in time before my body was dragged along the tunnel walls? The sheer thought of the death I nearly faced had me shaking.

???: L train west.

Dani: You son of a bitch! I nearly died! What the hell!?

???: My apologies.

???: I had to confirm a few things. Nothing major. Please continue.

Dani: NOTHING MAJOR!?

Dani: I was nearly dragged along a human-sized cheese grater!

???: That wouldn't have happened.

Dani: How would you know!?

???: Someone would've stopped the train.

Dani: Someone!?

???: Yes.

???: Someone.

My heart skipped a beat. Was he implying he would've stopped the train? He had that much control? But then couldn't he have held the doors open that little bit longer? No, there is no way he hacked into the MTA itself, right?

???: Just a little bit longer, ok?

???: L train west.

???: In case you forgot.

Dani: No, I have not.

Rolling my eyes, I put my phone away then begrudgingly dragged my ass over to the platform for the L train. While waiting for the train, I took the time to breathe and settle my heart rate. I was too far into this madness to give up now, even though heading back to Penn wasn't entirely out of the question yet. After a few minutes, the mostly empty train finally rolled into the station and I stepped on.

???: Get off at 6th Avenue.

Gripping the handrail so tightly my knuckles went white, I gritted my teeth and resisted calling Eli to give him an absolute earful. I could've walked that distance and been there already! After one stop, a mere two minutes later, I stepped off the train and my phone beeped again.

???: PATH to Hoboken.

The PATH train? To Hoboken? I read and re-read and re-read the message, still not believing what he said.

???: You know, the PATH train line.

Dani: Yes, I know the fucking Path train! Can I ask why the hell you're sending me to Jersey now after all this bullshit? Because I have half of a mind to head elsewhere.

???: You should hurry. The train will be arriving soon.

Sweet mother of God, it took every strand of my patience to not throw my phone against the concrete. I honestly didn't know how I managed to hold it together. In the end I boarded the train for Hoboken while meticulously planning my rant when I finally see him face to face. There was a fury headed for Eli, one I doubted he was ready for.

As I exited the train at Hoboken, the next set of instructions came through.

???: Board the Pascack train, transfer at Secaucus for the NEC train bound for Trenton. Your final stop is Jersey Avenue. Please commit these final instructions to memory and turn off your phone before boarding the Pascack train.