Chapter 8

As I walked up and down the dusty hallways, my hands trembled. As large as the warehouse was, I still felt the walls closing in on me. I had half of a mind to go back and knock Eli out while he was distracted, then use his fingerprint to get access to his phone to unlock the door. Extreme, but at least then I could get some air.

Yeah, great idea. Hurt the one person watching your back when you're the fucking apple of a serial killer's eye.

But the thought of fresh air was too great. Maybe just a little knock out. Nothing too hard. I really needed that air.

What you need is your pills!

I looked down and realized I had been scratching my forearm raw again, close to drawing blood. I squeezed my hands into tight fists, then shoved them deep into my pockets. Getting my pills meant going back to that room with that jerk. And that I just could not face doing. Not yet.

Suddenly my phone chimed for a notification. I pulled it out and saw I had several dozen messages from Gabe over the past eight hours. While the first few were more casual and laid back, the most recent ones were getting antsy. I smacked my forehead as it hit me that I never messaged him the night before to let him know I was ok.

Gabe: Hey girl...

Gabe: Don't mean to rush you or anything but...

Gabe: Where's my damn update at!?

Dani: Yeah, sorry, all good.

Gabe: You sure?

Dani: Yeah I'm sure.

Gabe: You sure sure?

Dani: Yes I'm sure lol

Gabe: How do I know you're you?

Dani: You named your teddy Geralt

Gabe: ... Lucky guess

Gabe: Anyone could know that

Dani: How many people have you told??

Gabe: I posted that selfie with him on IG remember?

Dani: That's right...

Gabe: You need to give me more

Dani: Uh last week you broke your favorite mug when you tried to show off your amazing karate skills

Gabe: Hmm ok million dollar question... what was printed on the mug?

Dani: Printed? It was a mug in the shape of a Mandalorian helmet.

Gabe: Ding ding ding!

Gabe: Isaac, tell her what's she's won!

Dani: An all expense paid trip to Cancun?

Gabe: OMG that would be so epic!

Gabe: But no you've won free drinks as soon as this shit's all over!

Dani: Ugh I could use that so much right now

Gabe: And I would love to join you but I'm still on apartment watch

Dani: Nothing yet?

Gabe: No but I'm confident he'll make his move soon. Then bam! Psychopath KO'd and Gabe is the hero of the city!

Gabe: I can already hear them cheering my name!

Gabe: GAB-RI-EL! GAB-RI-EL! GAB-RI-EL!

Dani: And here I thought you were doing this for my benefit! It turns out you were just trying to get the deli boy to notice you!

Gabe: Oops, guilty as charged!

Gabe: But he totally would, wouldn't he?

Gabe: How could he not?