Grover Loses His Shoes

Now, Tallulah had never been to a concert before, but the field of Asphodel was probably a larger scale version. The only difference was that the field of Asphodel was a lot more gloomy. Spirits stood around waiting for something that would never come.

The ceiling was so high it almost looked like it wasnt there. The group tried to blend in and keep an eye out for security ghouls.

In this bizarre experience, Tallulah realized she didn't like big crowds. Being packed in so tight with other people made her skin crawl. She tried to follow as best she could with the group, but she started to fall behind.

The girl grabbed the closest person's hand to try and keep up. Percy looked back at her confused. Tallulah saw the boy's expression change when he saw the look of panic on her face. "Sorry," the girl said, trying to explain herself. "I just realized I don't like big crowds and I don't wanna get lost."

Percy gave her a comforting smile, his sea green eyes soft. "You don't have to explain, Stormie. I won't let you fall behind." he told her. They followed behind Grover and Annabeth.

Tallulah looked around at the crowd, which probably wasn't a great thing to do, but when did she ever do something good for her mental health.

Their faces shimmer. They all look slightly angry or confused. They will come up to someone but their voices sound like chatter, like bats twittering. Once they realize they can't understand them, they frown and move away. The dead aren't scary. They're just sad.

They crept along, following the line of new arrivals that snaked from the main gates toward a pavilion with a banner that read:

JUDGMENTS FOR ELYSIUM AND ETERNAL DAMNATION

Welcome, Newly Deceased!

Out the back of the tent came two much smaller lines. To the left, spirits flanked by security ghouls were marched down a rocky path toward the Fields of Punishment, which glowed and smoked in the distance, a vast, cracked wasteland with rivers of lava and minefields and miles of barbed wire separating the different torture areas. Even from far away, Tallulah could see the horrors that occurred.

The line coming from the right side of the judgment pavilion was much better. This one led down toward a small valley surrounded by walls—a gated community, which seemed to be the only happy part of the Underworld.

Beyond the security gate were neighborhoods of beautiful houses from every time period in history. Silver and gold flowers bloomed on the lawns. The grass rippled in rainbow colors. The girl could hear laughter and smell barbecue cooking. Elysium.

Tallulah never thought she would see it. Sure it was every hero's goal to end up there, but she didn't know if she had it in her. Don't get it wrong, of course she wants to get there, but it will take some work.

In the middle of that valley was a glittering blue lake, with three small islands like a vacation resort in the Bahamas. The Isles of the Blest, for people who had chosen to be reborn three times, and three times achieved Elysium.

"That's what it's all about," Annabeth said. "That's the place for heroes." It made Tallulah sad how little people were there. How amazing of a life do you have to live?

They left the judgment pavilion and moved deeper into the Asphodel Fields. It got darker. The colors faded from their clothes. The crowds of chattering spirits began to thin.

After a few miles of walking, there was a familiar screech in the distance. Looming on the horizon was a palace of glittering black obsidian. Above the parapets swirled three dark batlike creatures: the Furies.