Chapter 27

The next day, the duchy was bustling as everyone made the final preparations for the party.

I'd spent most of my day reading, Tales of Tarareahn, which had proven to be a fantastic gift. The legends and myths were captivating, and I groaned when Fallon forced me to put it away and get ready. When she went out of the room to borrow makeup from Isolde, who happily shared her extra cosmetics with me, I'd stashed the book with the note under the floorboard. I couldn't take the chance of someone figuring out who'd given it to me. Andreas would have a field day if he learned of it.

Fallon ended up doing a great job of getting me ready. It was the prettiest I had felt in a very long time. My eyes were dusted in silver glitter and lined with black before the maid used mascara to coat my lashes. A deep, rouge balm was lightly applied to my cheeks and lips. She'd too, managed to cover the purple under my eyes with some kind of tinted cream. My curly hair was done more simply – half up and half down with the silver combs decorating the sides. I was then dressed in an ornate gown and jewelry, and I looked like a vision.

Adaliah is so incredibly beautiful. It sucks knowing that she didn't get to experience this herself.

"Oh! I almost forgot," Fallon said, and her long, brunette hair swished as she grabbed a white, unwrapped box that had been sitting on my bed. "This came in for you today. The shoes that were meant to go with your dress had taken a bit longer to arrive. Your sister received hers as well."

Fallon then opened the box to reveal crushed, red velvet heels that perfectly matched the fabric of my dress. They were simple and once again, perfect. She slipped the red shoes on my feet, which were surprisingly comfortable for being heels.

It wasn't too long after that I was escorted to the ballroom, which was in a separate building on the estate. From what I could remember, the late duchess had it built to host elegant balls for different events. Guests first walk up the stone steps to the double doors that sit under huge panels of glass that seem to mimic the panes from the glass house – the edges wrapped in gold. Past the double doors is the entrance to the large ballroom on the main floor. Beige, marble covered the floors and elaborate chandeliers with frenteria crystals cast a golden light onto them. A spectacular, staircase leads to the third floor, which holds meeting rooms and other chambers. Isolde is in one of those rooms getting ready and will make her grand entrance from the top of the stairs.

The Howell ballroom was already extravagant, but now my eyes drank in the many embellishments that decorated the room. This was one case where the author hadn't done too great of a job detailing the scene as it was much grander than I could have ever comprehended it to be.

I'd ventured here once before, shortly after falling into this world. At that time, the few furnishings in the room had been covered with cloth. Now, many tables were set up and adorned with pristine, white tablecloths and green table runners. The white and gold-rimmed plates and golden cutlery that had been used the day we had brunch to celebrate Isolde's arrival were now carefully positioned at each seat. Instead of the dark green napkins, white and gold ones sat on top of the plates. In the middle of each table was a gold vase filled with white gladiolas, yellow and white carnations, and yellow roses. In between the chandeliers, green and white chiffon had been draped from the ceiling – bringing an element of color that popped against the white walls.

The servants had dressed to match the theme – white shirts with matching green vests, pants, and bowties. Each one carried a platter that either held fancy appetizers, champagne, white wine, or a lime punch.

Meanwhile, musicians had been placed on the right side of the staircase and had begun playing soft melodies. Knights were placed around the walls, carefully monitoring for anything out of the ordinary.