Chapter 21

I was livid.

First, because goldie had made it sound like cleaning that "mess" was going to be a lot of work. Second, being bound by a tie with location requirements, means that I'm doomed to stay here. I could try to run away, but even thinking about breaking the promise sends searing pain through my head.

My final attempt at fleeing was over and gone, and I... I was done. I was done with trying to run. I was, am tired.

"I guess I'll have to find a way to survive here," I thought as I entered the bustling street, where special stalls had been set up to sell foods and imported items. "Running isn't an option anymore." 

I wondered what was going on with the thrift stall, but I decided that it didn't matter. Someone might have robbed it by now, and I kept the majority of my money in the bank anyway. At this point, I didn't want to think about Ashe... but I still care for his safety.

Honestly, I had been so excited to see him tonight. I had been just as eager for a moment of distraction with him, as well as running away with him. The last few weeks had been rough, and I craved fun. Desperately desired a way to escape the thoughts of tragedy and peril.

My eyes went down to the yellow jeweled brooch that was still pinned under my cloak.

Maybe I could be distracted tonight, even if it was to meet someone that I hadn't planned to meet. I'd wanted to avoid Khol altogether – but maybe it wasn't a bad thing to befriend him.

"Screw the storyline. He asked to take me out, and I needed a distraction. I don't feel like crying yet. So, I'll just make sure he takes Isolde out too, somehow. It can't change things that much," I told myself, throwing my hood back over my head,

I rushed to the Celestial Fountain that was in the middle of the city's grand square. He had said to meet him two hours after sundown. I was a bit late, but it's possible that he was still waiting for me.

I could smell the fountain water, which I could tell had recently been treated with some kind of chemical or potion. Carved from white stone, the ornate, square fountain had spindly spouts in the middle of it that twisted into one. There were eight total, each one with different carvings – mountains, vines, and waves among other symbols that represented the kingdoms of Tarareahn. Igoria's own is decorated with the national emblem – a crescent moon sitting inside of a bright sun surrounded by rays of light - representing the notan solasta power in the royal bloodline.

The constant dribbling streams of water were comforting to listen to when the square was empty, unlike tonight. Some people had traveled from various parts of Igoria and kingdoms beyond to be here for the festival. Some were traveling merchants and entertainers, and others simply wanted to experience the splendor of Jubilate.

Despite my tiff in the alley, Jubilate is known to be one of the safest times to visit the capital. Additional soldiers are sent from the palace to parade the streets, ready to snuff out trouble. Unfortunately, it seems that they are more focused on the more open areas of the city.

It's probably due to the investments that are made into decorating the square and filling it with entertainment. I'd noticed earlier that the strings of frenteria lights had been replaced with new ones, shining much brighter than before. Raised beds had been built and planted in places, filled with flowers that I knew were being cared for by naturists. Streamers of purple and gold, the kingdom's signature colors, hung from windows, circled lampposts, and decorated storefronts. Gorgeous tapestries of Igoria's sun and moon emblem hung from iron posts. Bins had been built for trash, and the splintering, wooden benches had been restored with some sanding and fresh, white paint.