Moving on, I approached the last category of affinities.

The superior gifts are those of Mages and Alchemists.

Mages. Mages are rare and have to study and train to become strong because they are all born weak, only being able to show little of their raw talent when it's first manifested. Most of their magic is conjured freely, without the need for spells and chants. Their natural aptitude for magic as well as their training affect how strong they are or will become. While they can do plenty of unique things, which include teleporting, most of their magic is considered to be copycat magic because they often imitate the elemental affinities. However, they have been unsuccessful in replicating the talents of alchemists and anodynes.

Considering the new information about ceruleans, it's probably safe to assume that mages can do much more than they let on. Though, I already knew that they know much more than they have shared with this society. The book always mentioned them keeping extraordinary secrets – Keelan had told Isolde this much. Of course, his soul tie with the Magic Tower kept him, and still keeps him, from sharing anything earth-shattering.

I wonder if the mages know anything regarding my... mirror problem. Too bad I can't ask. It would have been much more convenient for me to have possessed a mage's body. I could have studied and learned at the tower in peace.

I threw away the thought and kept writing. Again, I can ponder on that later.

Most mages become artifact makers and some, often illegitimate children, open shops. They use frenteria crystals and other common jewels to make powerful artifacts and weapons. Some mages are employed at the tower, while others are employed by the palace or by nobles.

One of Igoria's greatest advantages is its proximity to the Mage Tower. There is only one tower on the continent, and it lies within Igoria's borders. It is ancient and was built long before Igoria was ever established as a kingdom.

I'm lucky that Keelan is a mage, or the book might not have had any information about the tower. But he is, so it did.

The Mage Tower is closed off to society, with mages being the only ones allowed to enter the tower. Not all mages are associated with the tower, as a soul tie must be made to the tower keeper to enter it. Only mages can learn who the keeper is. When the keeper dies, the soul tie automatically amends so it is sworn to the new keeper. From what I can remember about the book, it is for this reason that mages understand soul ties better than anyone else.

While individual mages are free to involve themselves in the affairs of their kingdom, the leaders, or Council of the Mage Tower, only interfere in a kingdom's affairs in dire situations. But they consider few things to be serious enough to involve them. No war fought on the continent has ever been threatening enough for the tower's council to involve themselves. But while it resides in Igoria, the Mage Tower is a small sliver of property that belongs to no kingdom. They are considered to be an entity of their own, without being declared a kingdom of their own.

One fact that has been made known to everyone about the tower, is that the mages who choose to associate with it are given a special test. This examination puts them in a certain category or class among the mages. These classes are common, great, and superior. Most mages fall into the common category, as it is the weakest class. Few are granted the title of great, and these mages are considered to be prodigies. Very rarely is a mage classified as superior, and they are usually made a part of the council as soon as they are given the title. Mages can retest every five years, but retesting usually produces the same results.

Note: Keelan Howell and Nathaniel Hawthorne both have the title of Great Mage. Ezra has the title of Superior Mage.

I tried not to shudder as I shakily wrote the second sentence.