𝔼𝕏. 10

EXCERPT 10 of 10 - THIS EXCERPT CONTAINS THE PROSECUTOR - J. SWANSON - QUESTIONING AGAINST J. DOE WHILST IN TRIAL ON MARCH. 20th, 2021. JUDGE P. TOLER RESIDING IN THE JANE DOE VS. THE STATE OF MONTANA CASE: #52-936. 

SWANSON: Before we start, Ms. . . Doe. I want to say, although I am here to work against you, what you've been through is indescribable. And I offer my condolences at the loss of your family.

J. DOE: Thank you. . .

SWANSON: I also want to congratulate you on your articulation. It's to all our understandings you didn't speak to anyone while on the ranch. For someone so well-spoken, I have to applaud you for curing your muteness within only a few months. 

J. DOE: I was never a mute. I spent years in isolation. 

SWANSON: So, what? You just forgot to talk?

J. DOE: Well, considering I was forced fed intoxicating substances, lost my weight in blood more than once, experienced severe trauma, and you know, got attacked by fucking wolves. Think that might have some effect on your brain function. 

SWANSON: You know, for someone who has been painted as placate and gentle, you come across quite hostile to me.

J. DOE: Something I had to relearn in speech therapy was tone. And I don't appreciate yours. That's why I'm being hostile.

SWANSON: I have yet to accuse you. I was only curious how you could learn so fast, yet you were unable to inform anyone on the ranch of the situation on Mount Cowen.

J. DOE: I wanted to. I tried to find the words. But as you said, it was indescribable. I thought I had found my new home, I finally escaped. I didn't want to go back.

SWANSON: Not even for your own son? You we now know was alive at the time of your arrival on the ranch.

J. DOE: You know it now, but I didn't know it then. The way The Guide ran his. . . cult. . . I knew for certain Bear would not have survived that situation. They waited until I came back to kill him. They even killed his best friends. Just to prove a point to me.

SWANSON: Why not bring him with you then?

J. DOE: I'm not sure you were listening to my story before. . . I had just cut my uterus right open. I was out cold, by the time I woke up I was already being hunted down. I tried to get him. I tried to tell Freya to let me see him, but I had no choice.

SWANSON: I was listening quite well actually, and I believe you said your purpose for survival was to free the people on that mountain, to free your family. Yet, when you finally have the opportunity to do so, you do nothing to stop it. But you certainly made sure to have your fun, going to rodeos, working the Dutton ranch, running around with his married son.

J. DOE: That- That h-had nothing to d-do with my de-cision.

SWANSON: Your decision to abandon your family with a cult and then brutally murder the entire commune?

J. DOE: My decision to live. To have a life outside of the horrors I went through. The life I was promised by Freya. 

SWANSON: Did that life just not include your family?

ATRN. DUTTON: Objection, leading the witness.

J. TOLER: Sustained.

SWANSON: I'm just trying to understand you, Jane. I must be honest. There are just too many fallacies in your story, how could you fight so hard for your family, just to ignore the problem?

ATRN. DUTTON: Objection. Your honor, he's badgering the witness.

J. TOLER: Sustained. Swanson, I ask that you move on with your evidence, otherwise I will return Ms. Doe to her seat.

SWANSON: Of course, your honor. Let's discuss the nature of the crimes committed. I must warn the court, the photos you will see are disturbing and gory. Please look with caution.

(Exhib. A includes images of the bodies found on the outer perimeters of the crime scene.)

SWANSON: These victims were found around the commune, their broken bones are not the cause of death, nor the impact of the fall from the trees. Those occurred after death. Jane, please walk us through how these murders took place.

J. DOE: There are Hunters in the trees at all times, watching. I wouldn't have made it into the commune if they didn't go first. So, I moved in the blind spots, climbed the trees, and took them out individually. 

SWANSON: I see. Next piece of evidence.

(Exhib. B includes images of the images of the victims that did not succumb to burn injuries.)

SWANSON: And these victims, why did you choose to kill them differently? Rather than burning them like the others?

J. DOE: Um. . . wrong place, wrong time. I didn't expect anyone to be up and around. If they got the chance to warn the others, I wouldn't have been able to free the rest.

SWANSON: Free? I'm sorry? You chose to "free" these innocent people by slicing them open like game?

J. DOE: Innocent isn't how I'd describe them. Nobody on that mountain was innocent. 

SWANSON: Right. . . We will not be including the images of the burn victims. There wasn't much left to photograph. But I will ask for the sake of the testimony, why burn the rest?

J. DOE: Because they burned me. . . I- I wanted them to feel that pain too.

SWANSON: Even the children?

J. DOE: Believe me. . . they could've faced a much worse fate.

SWANSON: Next, and final, piece of evidence. Please.

( Exhib. C shows images of "The Guide" from the top of a wooden pole as well as the injuries sustained to his head and torso.)

SWANSON: I won't beat around the bush here. . . We can all see the raw ferocity in this murder. Why, Jane?

J. DOE: Okay, you know what. . .  Fuck it. I see what you are doing here. This is not a fight to prove my innocence. Everyone knows what I did. They know the true nature of my killings. I never once attested to that.  What I did was horribly wrong in your eyes. . . But I was raised by the Yellowstone Park. I was raised by Mount Cowen. No one in this state knows a more brutal place to be, let alone live in. So, I'll say this right now with my chest. I smashed his fucking head in. I pulled every goddamn organ from his body. And they did you all a favor, only showing the top half of him. You don't want to know what I did downstairs. . . I have faced death, time and time again. I used to wonder what the reason was. I used to wonder why nature put me through so many trials. Why I, of all people, was chosen. And I realized the reason that night, as I lit fire to his children and hung his mangled body for God and Mother Nature to see. I was chosen because I suited the true violent force that is nature. There was no punishment you could've given that man that would've avenged the lives lost and reversed the evil he brought into nature. You would've shoved him in a cell where he could relive the times he has taken the innocence of young girls, the times he made them compete over it, or killed them for it. So yes, I treated the people of my commune as my prey. I became death. And if I could go back. . . I would do it all over again, ten-fucking-fold. But this time. . . I would've done a whole lot sooner.

SWANSON: No further questions. . . your honor. . .

J. TOLER: Okay. . . I would like to call a recess before we move on to closing statements and verdict. I believe the Jury needs some to. . . process. Jane, you may return to your Attorney to discuss. Let's go ahead and come back within the hour. Dismissed.