𝔼𝕏. 2

THE FOLLOWING IS EXCERPT 2 of 10 FROM THE INTERVIEWS THAT TOOK PLACE DEC. 18th, 2020, BETWEEN THE DUTTON FAMILY RANCH AND ATTORN. J. DUTTON IN REGARD TO THE COWEN MASSACRE: THIS EXCERPT CONTAINS A PIECE OF THE DISCUSSION BETWEEN B. BUTTON AND THE LISTED ATTORNEY.

B. DUTTON: Well, here we are. You know, Jamie, I always knew we'd end up in this situation but not like this. I bet this is riveting for you.

J DUTTON: May I remind you this can and will be used in a court of law.

B. DUTTON: Do your balls just tingle with fucking joy when you say that? Or do you even have a pair? I always assumed you were just like a Ken doll down there.

J. DUTTON: Funny. Won't be so funny when it's stated in front of the jury and judge.

B. DUTTON: Actually, it'll be fucking hilarious. Maybe not so funny for you though.

J. DUTTON: We are here to discuss the events that led up to the Cowen Mountain massacre. Are you willing to cooperate or not?

B. DUTTON: Eat me. And I wasn't even there when it all went down. I don't know shit.

J. DUTTON: But you knew her, correct?

B. DUTTON: Yes, I knew her. I was the one who washed the blood, dirt, and shit off of her when she got there.

J. DUTTON: And how did she appear to you? How was her behavior?

B. DUTTON: Of all the freaks in the world. She took the fucking cake for sure. Wouldn't speak a fucking word, even though she just got mauled by wolves. Not that I'd have much to say after that either, but shit I was scrubbing the girl down and she didn't even care to make pillow talk.

J. DUTTON: Had she spoken to you about where she was from or perhaps who her family was?

B. DUTTON: What did I just fucking say? She didn't say a word. Can you keep up or do I need to talk slower?

J. DUTTON: Okay. Was there any indication of who she was?

B. DUTTON: No. . . But there was something.

J. DUTTON: What's that?

B. DUTTON: I'm fuckin' getting there, Jamie. (Pause.) I finally got her all clean, I thought I'd have to shave her head because the matting was so bad. She's lucky to have that head of hair she's got. But when she was finally clean. I was taking a good look at her, making sure I scrubbed every inch of dirt from her body cause good god that girl stunk like shit. I noticed a scar. Right across her lower abdomen. Like, lower lower. I pointed it out, of course she doesn't say much but her demeanor certainly changed. She wasn't crying per say, her face didn't show it and it's not like she had any tears but. . . I don't know how to describe it.

(It is noted B. DUTTON took a moment to light a cigarette.)

B. DUTTON: It won't make sense. Shit. None of this fucking mess makes any sense. But it was like her body got smaller. Like she just completely shriveled up and died. There are few things in this world that shake me down. I live and breathe tragedy. But seeing that girl sitting in dirty bath water, clinging to herself to find any sort of comfort. I couldn't just send her to the dogs right after that. I took her out. Put her to bed in one of my sleep dresses, she was so tiny it looked like she was wearing a curtain.

J. DUTTON: You trusted her to sleep in your bed? In the house?

B. DUTTON: If the warden walked in right now and gave me a choice to sleep in the same cell as her, or in the house with you? I'd sleep like a rock right next to her.