𝔼𝕏. 4

THE FOLLOWING IS EXCERPT 4 of 10 FROM THE INTERVIEWS THAT TOOK PLACE DEC. 18 BETWEEN THE DUTTON FAMILY RANCH AND ATTORN. J. DUTTON IN REGARD TO THE COWEN MASSACRE: THIS EXCERPT CONTAINS A PIECE OF THE DISCUSSION BETWEEN J. HURDSTROM, A RANCH HAND, AND THE LISTED ATTORNEY.

J. DUTTON: It's good to see you, Jimmy.

J. HURDSTROM: Yeah, you too.

J. DUTTON: I'm sure you know what we are here to talk about today.

J. HURDSTROM: Yes, and I want to say I had absolutely nothing to do with it. I swear I was on that mountain for like five minutes and then I was gone. I would never-

J. DUTTON: Woah. Slow down. You aren't being questioned as a suspect. This is a witness statement. I'm just going to ask you some things about Jane. 

J. HURDSTROM: Oh- Yeah- Duh. What about her?

J. DUTTON: Did you like her? 

J. HURDSTROM: Uh- Yeah, I like her. I don't like murder. Obviously. It's wrong. So that might have a damper on our friendship-

J. DUTTON: Jimmy. A straightforward answer is just fine. Your testimony cannot be held against you.

J. HURDSTROM: Right. Sorry. Yes, I liked her. Not really at first. She shoved me into horse shit and then tried to take my saddle off my horse while I was mounted on it. But I'll say that was just first day jitters and she didn't know any better. Plus, she lived her whole life in the woods. I mean, come on. Who would act normal in that situation?

J. DUTTON: Did she have a hard time getting friendly with the other wranglers? She was the only girl in the bunkhouse for a while there.

J. HURDSTROM: That she was. (Laughing) But she fit in just fine, it was made clear to all of us to treat her with respect and care. Not that she was fragile, but we didn't know how she would respond to certain things, so we took it easy on her. She had no problem jumping in and making her presence known, she played games with us and was actually quite funny when you learned how she shows it. She wasn't scared of us; she wasn't scared to get her hands dirty and work her place on the ranch. Those people are who scared her. Shit, I've seen that girl get eye to eye with a way pissed-off bull, sneak up on a wild stallion and try to break it. But when they attacked us, she was just petrified. 

J. DUTTON: I can't say I blame her. You say she came eye to eye with bull? How did that occur?

J. HURDSTROM: You know how it happened, why you askin' me?

J. DUTTON: For the record, I don't know a single thing about any of it. 

J. HURDSTROM: Right. . . Well, she was really keen on rodeos. After we had a show day on the ranch, I mean she was hooked. She actually showed me a lot about riding. Her and Laramie got really close too, I think it was good for her to have a girlfriend, she opened up a lot after that. 

J. DUTTON: And she never continued on with it? Never bothered to hit the road with her newfound friends and talent?

J. HURDSTROM: I'm not so sure. She had plenty of opportunities, made me a bit jealous I'm not gonna lie. But she never took them.

J. DUTTON: Interesting. 

J. HURDSTROM: I guess. I don't know. Some of never really want to leave. Ryan's been there since he was 18. 

J. DUTTON: Very true. Well, I think that's all I need from you today, Jimmy. Thank you for your time.

J. HURDSTROM: Wait. (Pause) Anything I say right now, the court with hear it?

J. DUTTON: Well, the judge will hear it. The jury will get the bullet point version.

J. HURDSTROM: If I had to say one thing about Jane, she's kind. I know that sounds like crazy talk considering the circumstances. But I have never ever met anyone in my life that was more genuine and wholesome in my life. I understand the justice system, I've been through the ringer plenty of times myself. I know there's always an example to be made. But I'm pretty much begging you. Go easy on her. The world hasn't given her a lick of what she's put into to.

J. DUTTON: Thank you, Jimmy. That'll be all.