𝔼𝕏. 𝟡

THE FOLLOWING IS EXCERPT 9 of 10 FROM THE INTERVIEWS THAT TOOK PLACE DEC. 18 BETWEEN THE DUTTON FAMILY RANCH AND ATTORN. J. DUTTON IN REGARD TO THE COWEN MASSACRE: THIS EXCERPT CONTAINS A PIECE OF THE DISCUSSION BETWEEN K. DUTTON AND THE LISTED ATTORNEY.

J. DUTTON: I want you to know, you're lucky to even be able to testify after the stunt you pulled a few weeks ago. The Judge and Jury were made aware of the incident and still believed your testimony would be too important to our case. So, you know, be grateful.

K. DUTTON: Grateful? I'm everything but grateful. They should know the hell we've all been through the last few months.

J. DUTTON: Not to the full extent, they don't. That's why your here. All roads lead back to you at the moment, you have been named as the person who knows Jane the most by multiple witnesses. I want you to be fully transparent, this testimony is confidential other than to the court and myself. . . Tell me about your first encounters with Jane, what did you think of her?

K. DUTTON: Well. . . for starters, I thought she was one tough son-of-bitch. You don't know a lot of people who walk away from being a pack of wolves' dinner. But Jane, shit, she was kicking and fighting us while bleeding out. Not that she was aggressive, she was terrified and really confused. We brought her into the barn, she acted as if she had never been around people before, she was scared of the lights and really hesitant to trust us. I made sure I was there when she finally came to, which didn't take long, we locked eyes as soon as she woke up. . . and I just. . . fucking crumbled.

J. DUTTON: Okay. . .Crumbled how?

K. DUTTON: She had the look of someone who had been through hell and back, but she was so goddamn gentle. She refreshed me, her child-like approach was enlightening and reminded me of all the good things in this world. Jane was a breath of fresh air for all of us. (Sigh) And I'm not proud to say this, but she was no looker when she first got there. She smelt terrible and had multiple rats' nest in her hair. But her big black eyes, her porcelain skin, her smile, every time you see it you feel lucky to even be near her. Jane was stunning in every way, she didn't need to be beautiful, her presence alone shook your core. I didn't see her beauty until later on.

J. DUTTON: What about any hostility? Anything that made you think she could be capable of such gruesome killings?

K. DUTTON: No. . . could be my own fault though. I wasn't fully there when Jane was around, I was completely and utterly enraptured by her. I didn't want to see any bad parts of her. I had my suspicions, her freakishly high pain tolerance, her inability to do basic human tasks in a 'normal' way, but nothing ever made me think she would do something like this.

J. DUTTON: What triggered her to change?

K. DUTTON: God. . . this is hard to fucking talk about. . . I led Jane on. I led her on badly. I forced her to stay on that ranch, she had the opportunity to leave and live her own life. But I kept her there. Then, after forcing her to stay with me, my wife comes back home. And I didn't even give Jane a proper apology. I manipulated her again and again until she couldn't say no to me. . . Then, we got attacked by the mountain people. 

J. DUTTON: I was made aware that her child was involved in this attack.

K. DUTTON: Yes, he was. But none of us knew about it, not even Jane. She was surprised to even see him there. . . she tried to make him stay, but I held her back. Another instance where I didn't pay attention to what Jane needed.

J. DUTTON: You went up to the mountain before the massacre. . . when you found Janes family hanging from the trees.

K. DUTTON: Yeah, but we didn't see the commune itself. . . I was a Seal. . . served multiple tours and plenty of hits on high profile terrorist. . . I have truly seen the worst in people. Hanging an entire family, hanging a little boy, all because she existed. . . it still haunts me. That's why we were so scared when they kidnapped Tate. . . I thought he was gonna have the same fate. They left Jane a note, I still don't know what it said, but she told us they were after Tate. 

J. DUTTON: If these events all took place within a course of three days, and you were with Jane when she discovered her family, how did she manage to break away from you all with enough time to kill. . . everyone. 

K. DUTTON: I'm not sure when she broke away, I was so scared for my son. By the time we realized she wasn't there, she could've very well been finished with. . . that. 

J. DUTTON: And now? After she has committed such a heinous crime, what do you think of the situation?

K. DUTTON: I told this to Jane myself. . . I should've done more to help her. I wish I understood the situation more. . . so that I could know her better. But nonetheless, she rescued my son so I wouldn't go through the same tragedy she did. There is no one I owe my life to more than Jane. And I'll die before I let the state execute her. Jane isn't innocent in her killing, but she's innocent in every other way. I don't know what she's been through, but I just know it, I've always known it. 

J. DUTTON: I can't discuss her case with you. . . but I will warn you as your brother. . . you don't want to know. And when you find out, you'll only feel worse. 

K. DUTTON: Nothing could make me feel worse than the way I treated her.

J. DUTTON: Trust me. . . there's plenty to feel worse about.