𝔼𝕏. 5

THE FOLLOWING IS EXCERPT 5 of 10 FROM THE INTERVIEWS THAT TOOK PLACE DEC. 18 BETWEEN THE DUTTON FAMILY RANCH AND ATTORN. J. DUTTON IN REGARD TO THE COWEN MASSACRE: THIS EXCERPT CONTAINS A PIECE OF THE DISCUSSION BETWEEN A BARREL RACER ASSOCIATED WITH THE RANCH "LARAMIE" AND THE LISTED ATTORNEY.

LARAMIE: I never thought I would wind up in questioning because of this fuckin' ranch. Y'all are un-fucking-believable.

J. DUTTON: Oh. Tell us how you really feel, Laramie.

LARAMIE: I don't mean to be a hater, y'all always make for a fun time and good rides, but good lord the drama never ends.

J. DUTTON: Should it be assumed you had the same feelings about Jane Doe? You two became quite close.

LARAMIE: I guess we did, I didn't think anything crazy about her. I wasn't there from the beginning but I've heard the boys talk about her before she became more "civilized". Sounds about right to me.

J. DUTTON: But you had already formed an opinion on her prior to the hearsay about her?

LARAMIE: Yeah we met at the rodeo, she was a damn good rider and my friend was swoonin' on Jimmy so we hung out for awhile. It was weird that she didn't talk but I just love to yap and she didn't seem to mind. I thought she was real cute and insanely kind. I figured her silence was just her bein' shy.

J. DUTTON: And do you think she's shy? Reserved?

LARAMIE: Not in the slightest, she isn't scared to make a fool of herself or try new things. I mean, everything is new to her really, but she's not afraid of it. She faces everything head on and you'd never know she was scared or even breaking a sweat.

J. DUTTON: Any situations in particular that come to mind?

LARAMIE: Yes. . . It might not paint her in the best light though.

J. DUTTON: I don't think that's possible compared to what she's being charged for.

LARAMIE: True that. Okay so, there was one time we decided to go out with the boys. I think it was when we had first met but we had been talking all night and we're just happy to be getting along so well. She'd never been out to a bar before and good golly, she was a hoot and a fuckin' holler. But of course, things never end well when you go out with the Yellowstone cowboys.

(LARAMIE takes a drink of water, slight pause.)

LARAMIE: A fight breaks out, I can't remember much of it cause I had blacked out from drunken rage but I do know that Jane didn't hesitate to jump in and defend her own. She looks sweet until she isn't. Seeing how easily she could drop-a-bitch, we all knew from that point on, no one can fuck with Jane. It's like that girl doesn't even process pain.

J. DUTTON:  How so?

LARAMIE: She has like an abnormally high pain tolerance. I mean the girl has scars like she's been beat to high heaven all up and down her body so it makes sense.

J. DUTTON: So you'd say she was plenty used to having pain inflected upon her?

LARAMIE: Like a fuckin' rag doll.

J. DUTTON: That's a bit unsettling, don't you think? Did that raise any questions for you?

LARAMIE: It's hard to put it into perspective. Looking back on meeting her, it definetely should've. She was so wild and strange, I just figured she was tough as shit. Jane herself is an enigma, no matter how hard we all tried, none of us could wrap our heads around who exaclty she was. And no one knew for sure what went down until. . . well, until all this happened. 

J. DUTTON: You figured she was just rough and rowdy, little bit a dark past?

LARAMIE: Exactly. Looking at her, even now, she looks so harmless. It really broke my heart when I heard what happened. Just another reminder that people aren't what they might appear to be. It's still so hard to believe she's capable of something. . . like that.

J. DUTTON: You and all of Montana.