ℂℍ𝔸ℙ𝕋𝔼ℝ 5

Tate came to visit the next day. Thankfully Rip didn't mouth off about me taking the day and was actually happy to give me time off with my boy before I started working double time.

My father came to me about being a livestock officer, I did my best to fight taking the job, but the money was too damn good, and considering I couldn't even afford to buy a loaf of bread at the moment, it seemed like I had no other option.

I refused to give up my position on the ranch in full stubbornness, so we came to the conclusion for me and Rip to split the deal and work together.

Tate and I started our day out going fishing, he had been hooked on it for a while but just after a few casts, he was dying to go see his new horse.

It was a short trip, but he was practically shaking in his boots about this damn horse I couldn't deny him any longer. Part of me worried he would push Monica over the edge talking about it back at home, but seeing his joy and excitement made it all worth it.

We pull back into the house and he hightails it for the stables. I yell out for him to wait for me while I put our fishing gear away. He can barely contain himself as he leaps and runs around in circles, singing a made-up song about his new ride. We trek down to the corrals and stable and I pull Tates horse. He instantly starts to jump up and down, squealing with enthusiasm.

I can't help but to smile as I lead the horse to the corral and start to run the gelding in circles.

"Can I come in?" Tate begs as he climbs up on the corral fence to watch.

"Nah, buddy. Not yet. He's still a little too wild for you."

"He doesn't look like a wild horse."

"Yeah, well. That's the thing about wild animals, son. They can look all the tamed they want but once you're close enough, they'll tear off your hands or stomp your brains out."

"Ewww." He crinkles his nose "Don't be gross."

"It's true though!" I smirk "Would you hug a bear in the forest?"

"No way!"

"Exactly, same thing with horses. They look cuddly and harmless, but they'll still get you when you least expect it."

Right on cue, my Dad walks up behind Tate and picks him up off the ground. He wraps his arms around him and kisses his cheek viscously, playfully imitating a bear eating him up.

"You got me good, grandpa." Tate sighs as he calms down from his laughing fit. His high-pitched voice and slight inability to pronounce his r's warmed my heart. There was nothing more precious on this earth than my son.

"That's how the bears'll getcha. Gotta watch your back.'" My Dad chuckles "You like your new steed?"

"I love it!"

"What do you say, Tate?" I correct him.

"Thank you, grandpa!" He wraps his arms around my father's leg "You're the best."

"Good, good. You're welcome" My father pats him on the back, I stop training the horse and approach them on the fence.

"Now we just need to get your mother a horse, maybe that'll sway her into coming back home." My Dad jokes and I shoot him an unamused glare.

"Think it's gonna take more than buying her a horse, unfortunately." I mutter.

"It's definitely gonna take more than a horse." Tate knowingly says. I cock my head back a bit with furrowed brows, wondering when he became so self-assertive.

"Oh, really?" I squint down at him "What exactly is it gonna take then, son?"

"I dunno I'm just a kid, but you got competition so you better step it up."