𝔼𝕏. 8

THE FOLLOWING IS EXCERPT 8 of 10 FROM THE INTERVIEWS THAT TOOK PLACE DEC. 18 BETWEEN THE DUTTON FAMILY RANCH AND ATTORN. J. DUTTON IN REGARD TO THE COWEN MASSACRE: THIS EXCERPT CONTAINS A PIECE OF THE DISCUSSION BETWEEN ANOTHER WRANGLER, "RYAN", AND THE LISTED ATTORNEY. 

J. DUTTON: I must say. I'm surprised you wanted to make a statement.

RYAN: I just wondered if I might be able to give a better insight on Jane.

J. DUTTON: We are up to our ears in witnesses. If you don't have anything worthwhile, it won't be presented to the court.

RYAN: The girl held a knife to my throat; I think my statement will be plenty entertaining for them.

J. DUTTON: This isn't about entertainment, Ryan. This is about Janes guilt.

RYAN: I know, I know. I just. . . I always thought Jane was something else. She was freaky and out-of-this world. We all kind of watched her like a zoo animal. But I feel like I saw something much different from everyone else.

J. DUTTON: Elaborate.

RYAN: Everyone talked about her in a naive way. They thought she was this harmless, dewy-eyed girl who just didn't know humanity like the rest of us. But if you had asked me, I knew that bitch was cutthroat from the moment I saw her. She knew way more than she put off, but she didn't want us to know that. She wanted to seem weak and easily undermined. But when the time came, she showed her true colors. Jane was no different than the people on the mountain, she just didn't want to be that way anymore.

J. DUTTON: The people on the mountain, what exactly made them so horrific? You could say they were just a generational family that developed their own customs that were more primitive. What makes everyone say otherwise?

RYAN: That's a lot of big words for a wrangler, Jamie. But if you're asking me why nobody can talk about it, I will gladly tell you. Those people were anything but a family, they were a goddamn cult. I mean it was like Waco all over again. They took the kid, and they were going to sacrifice him. Fucking sacrifice him. This is after they just killed Janes entire family and had a firing squad shoot thorn-covered arrows all over the ranch. They were fucking prehistoric and ritualistic. I don't want to know the full details of what Jane went through up there; I just know it's gruesome. Tell me that isn't something that would terrify you.

J. DUTTON: I think it's perfectly clear the life she's lived, you saw the bodies, the way she took their lives, that isn't necessarily merciful.

RYAN: Jane is merciless. She's precise. She's intentional. No one could see that like I did. 

J. DUTTON: Most people have said otherwise, they say she preferred my brother over anyone else.

RYAN: (Scoff) That's twisted. Kayce preferred Jane, not the other way around. If that were the case, Kayce would've seen this coming just as I did. He would've seen how naturistic she really is.

J. DUTTON: You say Jane held a knife to your throat once? Had she threatened you any other times?

RYAN: No, no. That was when they had killed her kid. . . I didn't know that was her son, I tried to move his body and she just snapped. I pushed her limits. 

J. DUTTON: Why do you think it was different for you? Plenty of people were bled out at the crime scene, other than the murder of her family, why would she have spared you?

RYAN: Simple. Jane liked me. Jane liked all of us. Of course she had those killer instincts, but as I said, Jane is calculated. She stalks her prey; she waits for the perfect moment to slice you open. It's just crazy to me, I can think back on the last few months and notice all these little details that I didn't quite get before. Who would've thought Jane killing over 10 people would be what we all needed to understand her.