𝔼𝕏. 6

THE FOLLOWING IS EXCERPT 6 of 10 FROM THE INTERVIEWS THAT TOOK PLACE DEC. 18 BETWEEN THE DUTTON FAMILY RANCH AND ATTORN. J. DUTTON IN REGARD TO THE COWEN MASSACRE: THIS EXCERPT CONTAINS A PIECE OF THE DISCUSSION BETWEEN M. LONG AND THE LISTED ATTORNEY.

J. DUTTON: I can't imagine being here is easy for you, Monica. But it's more than helpful for the defendant, so we thank you.

M. LONG: I'm sure you do. Nothing is ever easy with you Dutton's.

J. DUTTON: I can't say I disagree with you. (Papers shuffling) Were you made aware of Janes presence upon your arrival of the ranch? it's reported you moved back in shortly before the incident occurred.

M. LONG: I was aware of Jane, yes. We were introduced the day I got there.

J. DUTTON: How was that interaction?

M. LONG: (Pause) I'll make this easy for you. I don't like Jane. I've always had an unsettling feeling around her. Be that she was interested in my husband, or her entire presence just bothered me. I never understood how she managed to place roots there, but she certainly did. I couldn't deny her that.

J. DUTTON: What changed?

M. LONG: We didn't talk. Obviously. It happened naturally. There was no specific moment, or conversation. I just one day realized she is the reason my family is still standing to this day. I could look at her and feel it. I never understood why everyone was so fascinated with her. I was ignorant and jealous. I see it now.

J. DUTTON: So, what's the fascination?

M. LONG: Her energy. It's dark and twisted, borderline evil. But it's also welcoming and understanding of all things impure. Jane looks at you once and you feel like the entire world can suddenly see the skeletons in your closet. She makes you feel exposed and vulnerable but never once takes advantage of that. Even in my distaste towards her, she empathized with it and suffered along with me. I've never felt that way about someone and I still resent her for it.

J. DUTTON: . . .You know what I'd like to ask you.

M. LONG: I do, and I'm not willing to discuss that with you. What happened then doesn't matter now, what matters now is Jane's story.

J. DUTTON: You don't think her choices were influenced by the circumstances of her relationship with-

M. LONG: No. I don't. I think she did what she always knew she had to do. We are about to get the full story, the full understanding of why she had to do it. But I already know why.

J. DUTTON: A vague testimony isn't a valid testimony, Monica.

M. LONG: She's a killer. Plain and simple. But so were they. They took something from her, from all of us, and she destroyed everything in her path to get it back.

J. DUTTON: I can't seem to understand which side you're on here. You resent the girl but recognize her struggles and reasoning for taking life. 

M. LONG: You think I want to be on the fence here? You think I'm even remotely at peace with my feelings towards her? Nothing about this situation screams black and white to me. I only ever wanted my family back. I never wanted to be concerned with the wild animal my husband brought home.

J. DUTTON: I see. . . But?

M. LONG: But. . . I stand with her in this. If I could've worn their blood alongside her, I would've. We all would've, she just beat us to the punch.

J. DUTTON: I take it you didn't see the crime scene.

M. LONG: All of Montana saw it. And when they know the truth, they're going to wish she took the whole damn mountain down.