Take it on the Run

My chest felt like someone sat on it. Not sure how to move on from that, I leaned against the mirror. It was cold against my hot skin. More tears leaked down my cheeks. I knew he was mad, but how could he do that? And to just say it so nonchalantly...was he trying to make me hate him?

Shaking my head, I hopped off the counter and walked to the room I once shared with Bianca. Not wanting to get caught up in my emotions again, I quickly changed my clothes and walked downstairs.

"Bobby and Sam are preparing her." Dean's eyes fell to my left arm. "How's your arm?"

I smacked him. Tears burned in my eyes. "How could you?"

Dean touched his face. A red mark was already forming. "I'm not sure I deserved that."

"You're a complete ass, Dean Winchester." I shoved him. 

"What the hell, Melanie?" Dean grabbed my upper arms to keep me from attacking him again.

"After all the shit you gave me. You made a deal. You didn't want me to know, but I figured it out." Dean's eyes fell at my words. "How long did you get?"

"One year." Tears swam in his eyes. "At least we'll go out together, right?" I pulled him close. He cried into my shoulder. "I tried to get them both back."

"Shh," I said as I rubbed his back. "She's in a better place. She didn't suffer. That's all we can ask for in this line of work."

Sam cleared his throat. "We're ready." I couldn't help but notice he wouldn't look me in the eye.

Dean brushed past his brother and walked outside. Sam stared at the floor next to me for a long minute before turning and following. With a deep breath, I willed my feet to move forward.

Outside, Bobby and Sam had fashioned a wooden platform for Bee's body to rest on. They covered her in a sheet as well. The sky was gray to match our emotions. However, no precipitation fell. 

"I thought you might like to say something about her." Bobby took his hat off as I walked around the wooden pyre.

Taking a deep breath, I collected myself enough to give a eulogy. "Bianca Elaine Goodwin was one of the strongest people I knew. She was my rock when I needed her most. Without her, I wouldn't be here today." I wiped my nose on my sleeve. "She was a twin I never had. We worked so well as hunters because we were always on the same wavelength. She knew everything about me. I knew I could tell her anything. Even though she might've had a snarky response every now and again, she never judged me. 

"I remember one time when we were kids, she piled all our savings together and convinced me to go to an arcade with her. When we weren't as good at the games as we thought we were, she broke into one of the machines and stole a bunch of tickets out of it." I chuckled. "We bought their big prize, which was a PlayStation one. We were halfway through Spyro before my parents confiscated it and made us return it.

"Bianca was always coming up with crazy schemes that got us in trouble. Without her, we never would've hustled these two big lugs almost a year ago now. Maybe we wouldn't have even met." I pressed my nails into my palm as I fought back sobs. "There was no one like Bee, and there never will be. She was confident, funny, witty, and so full of life. She always pushed me to get out of my comfort zone. My life may have been safer without her, but it definitely would've been way more boring."

I walked forward and squeezed her hand through the cloth. "Until we meet again." When I stepped back, Bobby handed me a box of matches. "We should all throw one. We all loved her."

Once everyone had a lit match, we all tossed them onto the pyre. Flames roared up around it as we watched. Dean wrapped an arm around my shoulders. I leaned my head against him. We both quietly cried, mourning a beautiful life.