Sinking Ship

"Creepy-ass inn." Dean parked the Impala in front of a German-styled hotel.

"Ellen says there's been two deaths in the past three weeks." I peered out the window at the inn. "One drowning and a nasty fall."

"That's not abnormal," Bee said.

"The guy's head did a one-eighty," Sam said. "Is that abnormal enough for you?"

Dean opened the door. "This is pretty cool though. We never get to work in these old-school haunted houses."

We all followed Dean to the entrance of the hotel with our bags slung over our shoulders. Dean muttered something about Fred and Daphne, but I wasn't paying attention. My eyes were scanning everything around us. 

I grabbed Sam's arm as I noticed a carving on one of the planters. "Ghosts may not be our issue."

"What do you mean?" Sam asked.

"Look at this." I pointed to the planter. "That's a quincunx, right?"

"A quincunx?" Bee asked.

"A five-point. It's a pretty powerful hoodoo spellwork," Sam said as he traced over the mark.

I looked at Bee. "Fill this with bloodweed and you've got a powerful spell to ward off enemies."

Dean must've realized we weren't following because he spoke directly over my shoulder. "I don't see any bloodweed."

I glanced at Sam trying to send a it's still an issue look at him. Sam took my hand as we walked up the path into the inn. As we were checking in, the lady at the counter told us we were going to be some of the last visitors since the inn was closing down. We split up and began exploring.

"So, the first vic was the realtor handling the sale, and the second was a mover." I watched the EMF meter intently.

"Whatever is here doesn't want it to close," Sam said.

"Then we should make it very clear that we are not here to help it shut down." Bee looked around hesitantly.

With no blips on the EMF, we decided to divide and conquer. Sam and Dean took the lower floors while Bee and I took the upper floors. A few hours later, I went back to Bee and I's room to watch a lawyer get carted out on a gurney. 

Unable to watch his dead body move, I turned away from the window. Sam joined me in the room.

"He was a lawyer closing the estate sale. They found him hanging from the fan in his room." I hugged myself feeling cold from the window.

"Yeah, I saw." Sam slumped into a chair. He looked slightly disheveled and had a far-off look in his eyes.

"Are you okay?" I looked him up and down. "Why are you in our room?"

"Can't I come to see my girlfriend without it being suspicious?" Sam asked.

"Alright." I cleared my throat and sat down across from him not enjoying his sour-puss mood. "What did you find out about the grandmother in the attic?"

"You're bossy." Sam looked at me and snorted, too. "And short."

I got up and moved closer to him. His eyes were slightly blurred. "Are you drunk?"

"Yeah, so?" Sam asked. "Bee does it all the time."

I sighed. "What the hell, Sam? We're on a case. Bee's never drunk on a case. What's going on with you?"

Sam looked away from me and mumbled something I didn't catch. When he looked back, something about his eyes made a fist close around my heart. Something was wrong.