Hello Again

When Bee and I pulled up to Harvelle's Roadhouse, there weren't any other cars in the parking lot, but we knew Ellen, Jo, and Ash were likely inside and had probably heard their car. With some coffee and food in her, no one would be able to tell that Bee was super hungover. She may have still been slightly drunk. 

"Hello? Ellen?" I called as I walked into the restaurant while simultaneously making sure nothing was a trap.

On the pool table, a man with a mullet slept. Looks like Ash had as rough of a night as Bee.

A middle-aged woman with blondish-brown hair walked into the main dining area. "I thought that was your Roadrunner I heard."

Ellen hugged me. "How ya holdin' up, sweetie?"

"I'm okay." I nodded.

Even though she sent me a look saying she didn't believe me, Ellen hugged Bee and asked her the same thing. 

"Great as ever," Bee said.

"Do you mind if I steal Mel?" Ellen asked. "There's something I want to talk to her about."

"Not a problem. Is Jo around?" Bee asked.

Ellen pointed over her shoulder. "She's in the back getting ready for the lunch stragglers we'll have."

"Thanks." Bee walked toward the kitchen.

"I'm glad you're here." Ellen wrapped her arm around my shoulders and led me back toward her office. "Are you sure you can handle what I've got for you?"

"Ellen, have we failed you before?" I asked.

"No." Ellen shook her head. "But you look like you haven't had a good night's sleep or had a full meal since your momma died and we both know that Bee is tipsy at ten thirty in the morning."

I slumped into one of the leather seats in her office. "It's been a difficult year."

Ellen sighed. "Your parents—"

"Please," I whispered with tears threatening to spill over my eyelashes at any moment. "Just talk about the job."

"Okay." Ellen pursed her lips. "I don't have much this week. There haven't been many whispers around here, lately. I do have one case from Wisconsin. How do you feel—"

Movement outside caught my eye. "Ellen, are you expecting someone?"

"What kind of vehicle is it?" Ellen got up to look out the window.

"It was a beat-up van. Kind of creepy," I said.

Ellen rushed out of the office grabbing the pistol she kept in her desk drawer. "I don't know anyone who drives that vehicle. Were you followed?"

"No, Ellen. I'd never bring anyone or anything here." I stood up.

"Stay put," Ellen said, tossing me a shotgun that was fully loaded.

"Be careful," I said.

For what felt like fifteen minutes there was next to no noise. Then there was some shuffling and a guy yelled.

"Sam! Need some help in here!"

I leaped out of the chair leaving the rifle behind. By the time I banged into the main area of the restaurant, Ellen had her pistol aimed at Sam and Jo had her rifle pointed at Dean. Bee came busting into the room at the same time I did.

"Sam? Dean? Winchester?" Ellen asked.

"Yeah," the men said.

"Son of a bitch." Ellen lowered her pistol.