Welcome to My Nightmare

Trigger warning: Suicidal ideation

"Do you even think there are Nucklelavee in the United States?" I asked as I leaned over the couch to read over Sam's shoulder. "They're native to Scotland and way up north."

"How do you know that?" Sam asked.

"I told you, I read everything in here twice." I crutched over and sat down beside him.

"We only left you for two weeks," Sam said.

"I'd read some of them. My parents had them," I said. "Like the one you're reading. English Folklore and Scottish Tales. It was a go-to for me. My family is Scottish, you know."

"Really?" Sam asked. 

I nodded. "My maternal great-grandfather came to the United States from Scotland when he was eighteen. We found a necklace of his with his family crest on it. Guess what."

"What you're like royalty or something?" Sam asked.

"His last name was Stewart and the pendant was the royal family crest, which means my ancestors ruled over Scotland for over two-hundred-fifty years and over both Scotland and England for another one hundred." I raised a brow. 

"Not bad," Sam said. "Wonder if they ever came across any Nuckelavee."

My phone buzzed in my pocket. "For their sake, I hope not." I flipped it open and answered. "Bee, what's up?"

"We've been arrested," Bee said.

I sat upright. "What do you mean you've been arrested?" Sam leaned in closer to hear what Bee was saying.

"The vic had a wife. We got a clue and were going to ask if it meant anything to her. Next thing I know, he's calling me from the police station," Bee's voice quivered with anxiety. "They're trying to pin me with accessory to murder. I have no idea what they're talking about."

Sam took the phone from my hands. "Bianca, they can't hold you for more than seventy-two hours without charges. Dean and I have had some unfortunate circumstances, so they have plenty to put on him. Don't give them anything."

"Give me the phone back." I reached for it, but Sam leaned away from me.

"What do you have on the case?" Sam asked. "Try rearranging that and see if it makes sense to anyone there. You have a lawyer, right? He might know something. Talk soon. You got this. Call me if you can't figure something out." Sam handed the phone back to me.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"I'm fine. My time's up. I gotta go." The line went dead.

I stared at the phone in my hand for a long time. We've never even been pulled over. Now Bee has a record. I slammed my phone shut and tossed it across the room.

"I'm so sorry, Mel. I didn't mean to take the call away from you. I thought I could help—"

"How fucked are they?" I asked.

"Dean's wanted for murder. We ran into a shifter a year ago and it got caught looking like him," Sam said.

"Is there any way they get out of this?" I asked feeling tears well in my eyes.

"They have no reason to connect Bianca with that night. So long as she doesn't know about it, they can't hold her," Sam said. "Dean will figure a way out. If not, we'll go bust his ass out."

"How can you be so calm?" I asked.

"If I know anything about my brother, it's his way that he can inexplicably get out of any horrible situation without hardly lifting a finger. He'll be okay." Sam rubbed my back.