Devil in Disguise

Dean spent a few more days fixing up the car while I tried to recover from my concussion. However, the car proved to be easier to fix than my head. The tension between Sam and Dean seemed to have dissolved a little, but Bee and I needed something to do or we'd tear each other's throats out.

Sam was a great buffer for Bee who had become my stay-at-home nurse that I didn't need. Every few hours at night, she was checking on me. If I didn't finish a meal, she demanded I eat it all. Water was brought to me at strict two-hour intervals, and if I hadn't finished the sixteen-ounce glass, I got lectured. I almost liked it better when she was drunk.

Currently, Sam and I lounged on the couch. We hadn't been able to figure anything out with the weird touch feeling, so we tried our best to avoid contact with each other. The trail on the demon also seemed to have gone cold, so we tried to read up on anything we could. That meant swapping books back and forth as we finished them.

"Well, Baby is ready to go." Dean wiped his hands on a paper towel. "Got anything, Sammy?"

"Yeah, actually." Sam pulled out his computer and scoured through the files on it. "There are some decapitations and cow mutilations in Red Lodge, Montana."

"Could be vamps," I said.

"We'd better go check it out," Dean said. "Sounds like another hunter is already on it though. Just let me grab my stuff and we can hit the road."

"Are you feeling well enough to be left here?" Sam packed his things into a duffle.

I sighed. "Yeah, the dizziness isn't as bad as it was before, and I'm less fatigued. If I'm not treating myself right, Bianca will be sure to do it for me."

"She's only doing it because she cares," Sam said.

"I know," I said. "But she's getting kind of smothering."

Sam sat next to me. "What was that advice you gave to Dean?"

I rolled my eyes. "Do as I say not as I do."

"Bobby will be around to buffer her some. You should ask him about his hunting days. I bet he has some good stories," Sam said.

"I got stories that the boys haven't even heard yet," Bobby said. "Don't want to embarrass them with their lackluster hunting skills."

I giggled as Sam frowned.

Dean reappeared from upstairs. "You ready?"

"Yep." Sam stood up. "Where's Bianca? She should know we're leaving."

"I think she finally passed out upstairs. I may or may not have encouraged her to drink last night. I just couldn't take her pestering anymore," I said.

"Well, it's an eleven-hour drive to Red Lodge, we'd better get on the road," Dean said. "See you in a few days."

"You boys take care," Bobby said.

"We won't be around to cover your asses, so try to come back whole," I said.

"Whatever." Dean walked out.

Sam stopped in the open doorway, "See ya, Mel."

*****

For the next two days, I tried to stick close to Bobby. Bee was still overbearing, but she seemed to take some off whenever Bobby was around. When Bobby wasn't around, I tried to bury myself in reading to keep myself occupied. Finally, just after nine two days after the boys left, I got a call.

"This is Melanie," I said.

"Hey, it's Sam," Sam said. "I wanted to run something by you."

"What's up?" I set the book I was reading down on the coffee table.