Part 38 (Last)

15 day later

Lucknow

Madhumati is going home, with a carry bag in her hand, through the lane, when she hears Shanta.

See, Kamala. Jaisi karni waisi bharni ka udharan.”

(See, Kamala. It’s all karma.)

Kamala confused asked Kamla in return, “Why are you saying this?”

Shanta taking the opportunity said, “Don't you know about Madhumati and her niece? That Madhumti used to taunt and torture Khushi bitiya so much and I heard that she tried to forcefully tie her knot with a married man, it was god grace that the child was saved by someone. Now look at her, God punished her by making her married niece stay in her Mayka. “

Kamala raised her eyebrows, “How do you know this, Shanta?”

Shanta replied, ”Arey, my relatives stay in Laxmi Nagar in Delhi. They told us how she treated Khushi bitiya.”

Kamala rolled her eyes saying, “She used to flaunt that she did big charity by adopting Khushi bitiya, but we know the truth about how she treated that poor soul.”

They continued badmouthing Madhumathi and Guptas.

Madhumati bent down her head and left from there. This was their life since the day they came back here in Lucknow but she can't do anything about this. Daily taunts and insults are what became her routine. She reached home and started doing household chores while trying to figure out how to come out of this mess.

In the evening, Payal reached home and sat on the sofa triedly, she looked worn out and stressed.

Madhumati sat beside her and kept her hand on Payal’s shoulder, “Payaliya, what happened?”

Payal’s eyes teared up at her question, “I can't take it, buaji, I can't do it anymore. I am tired.” Hugging Madhumati, she cried her heart out.

Madhumati had no words to console her, “Tell me, bitiya. What happened?”

Payal in her hoarse voice, sniffed, “I can't take their taunts, buaji. What's my mistake that Raizadas threw me out? In the office too, I worked very hard but they wouldn't get satisfied, and keep insulting me. Nobody respects me here. It is not like this in Delhi.”

Madhumati wiped her tears, consoling her, “We need to fight bitiya. I know it is not your mistake.”

Payal shook her head, wiping her tears as more tears rolled down her eyes, “Now I understand, Buaji, how difficult it is for Khushi to work in AR in the initial days. She is so strong, she handled everything and kept a smile intact on her face. We did a sin by troubling that soul. I should have stood beside her the way she always had. I failed as a sister, Buaji. I failed.”

She cried some more as regret filled her heart.

Madhumati just patted her head. NO words came out of her mouth. What else she could say? She thought deep in her heart ‘It's not your fault, Payalaiya. It is mainly my fault. If only I could have controlled my tongue and not messed with ASR. How cunning that man is. I thought what kind of revenge is this at first, he just sent us to Lucknow but now I realize that it is becoming difficult to even breathe here.’

That’s when she felt a weight on her body putting a break to her thoughts. She looked down and saw that Payal had fainted, “Payaliya? Kya hua?”

(Payal, what happened?)

She made her lie properly and sprinkled water on her face, “Wake up, Payaliya.”

She patted her cheeks. Payal slowly opened her eyes, “Buaji.”

Buaji asked her worriedly, “What happened Payaliya?”