Chapter Twelve

"Get me out of this," Chloe pleaded as she pulled against the straps again, but it was useless. The leather was too tight and there was no possible way to escape, but she hadn't really done anything wrong. She had only made a tiny mistake. Maybe she could get lucky again and get away without a strike; Chloe really didn't want to get a strike.

"He will be with you shortly," One of the men said, and then the three of them left the room. The lights instantly went off and Chloe yelped; she had never been a fan of the dark, especially not now considering she was being held against her will, tied to a chair, in the small, pitch black, room. It was like looking at the back of her eyelids while having them wide open at the same time.

Chloe looked around frantically, but she couldn't see anything. There hadn't been much to see even when the light was on, it was a small room with light grey walls and a hard cement floor with a chair placed in the middle, the one she was tied to. It was a horror movie scene on steroids, and Chloe wanted nothing more than to leave this room. She would've rather been in the white padded room, at least then she would've had some company, if Melanie was even still there. If she was even still alive.

The time passed by as Chloe stayed still, tied to the chair, breathing in and out slowly, keeping herself sane by humming the tune to a song she couldn't quite remember the name of. It was the only sound in the room and the only reason she hadn't moved a millimeter in the past few minutes. After a few more minutes, the crazy thoughts had consumed Chloe's mind and she was once again fighting the straps, struggling to break free from the chair. Her attempts were useless; the leather was too strong for her. She gave up and tried to regain control of her breathing, inhaling and exhaling at a constant rate to steady her heart beat. The rhythm of the song had faded from her mind and was no longer filling up the emptiness the darkness gave her.

The door opened once again and a single man entered the room as the lights flickered on. Chloe shut her eyes and then slowly opened them, letting them adjust to the sudden change in brightness. After they had, she looked to her right and tried to jump out of her seat. The newly arrived man was standing in the corner of the room wearing a trench coat and one of the masks the other men had worn. She looked at the table that had appeared out of nowhere beside her chair and then struggled against the straps again. Chloe wasn't exactly an expert on machinery, but she did know that whatever device was on the table was something she didn't want used on her.

"How are you, Chloe?" The man asked, and then Chloe stopped. The shocking realization struck her like lightning. It was him; the man who whispered in her ear. She looked him up and down and then stared him down with hatred. Revealing himself was a big mistake. If Chloe got the chance, she would break his arm right then and there without a care in the world. Maybe he wouldn't feel so high and mighty if he knew what if felt like to be completely helpless like her and the others.

"I'd be better if you released me from the confines of this chair," She stated and then shook the chair with all of her might. It hadn't done much, but it was enough to get the man's full attention, and he didn't seem pleased with her outburst. After all, she was the one tied to the chair.

He approached her and leaned toward the chair, his arms touched hers and then he said, "I would think you would show me a little more respect," He leaned back and sat in a chair next to the small table by her side, another item that had mysteriously materialized from nothing. "I got rid of that annoying little brat for you."

"What are you talking about?" Chloe asked, but she regretted saying those words the moment after. She already knew what he meant and she didn't want to hear him say it. Of course the men escorting Rachel away had been his doing.

"Rachel Cree," The man answered; then he grabbed the device sitting on the table and clicked a button. The device started buzzing; Chloe closed her eyes and looked away until the noise stopped. "Come on, don't tell me you're scared of this little thing?" He waited a minute and then turned it back on. "Usually we do this while you're sleeping, but I want you to remember how this feels. I don't ever want to see you in this room again. Do you understand me?"

"Yes," Chloe stuttered as a tear fled from her left eye. She looked at the wall to her left again, closed her eyes, waited for him to use the device on her, but she wasn't prepared for the pain that came with it. It bit into her wrist like a venomous snake biting into its prey. A scream escaped her as the device poked into her wrist, and she struggled against the straps yet again. She glared at the man and then glanced at her wrist and watched as an X was drawn into one of the boxes. Once the man finished, Chloe looked down at her wrist again. Her skin was red all around the fresh tattoo, but surprisingly there was no more pain. It was gone in an instant. "What did you do to me?"

"I hope it taught you a lesson," He told her. "Do you have any more questions for me?"

Chloe thought for a minute. There were a million things she wanted the answer to, but there was one she needed to know. And that was the most important of them all. "What did you do with Rachel?" She asked. A surge of guilt ran through her, but she didn't regret her question. It was partly her fault for Rachel's punishment, after all, he had done it for her. He had gotten rid of Rachel for Chloe. Who would do such a thing?

"Really," The man said and then he chuckled. "Out of all the things you could've asked, and you wasted it on her?" He let out another round of laughter before answering, "Lets just say you won't ever have to deal with her again."

Chloe fought against the straps and shouted at him, "I'll kill you!" He laughed again and then left the room without another word. Chloe looked over to the corner of the room by the door and discovered a camera focusing in and out, and then the lights went out again, leaving Chloe alone, irritated, and frightened of what was to come next.