Chapter Nine • Uncomfortable

Mark

I pace around my office anxiously, waiting for her to knock on the door.

Teaching a class with her less than six feet away, avoiding eye contact, was torture.

I asked her to meet me in my office once she's gathered her things. I need to address the whole Instagram incident. Wouldn't want her thinking I was stalking her, now would we?

I've mapped out what I will say on my head. As long as she sticks to the nice script I've also created for her in my mental scenario, all will go well. Hopefully.

There's three soft knocks on my door. I take three deep breaths.

"Come in." I voice sounds gravelly so I pour myself a glass of water while she makes her way inside. "Would you like some?"

She softly shakes her head no and takes a seat in her designated leather chair. The one she's sat in every time she comes to my office. Once I'm sat in my chair, I look at her.

She's still wearing the pale purple sweater and high rise jeans she had on earlier.

"I would like to clarify something that happened over the weekend concerning your Instagram."

What I would actually like to do is die in a hole.

"Oh, right." She seems to blush deeply and starts fidgeting with the end of her sweater.

"I sincerely apologize if I, in any way, made you feel uncomfortable. It was not my intention."

Her gaze warms slightly.

"I didn't mean to like the post." I can't bring myself to admit that I was scrolling through her Instagram so I settle for that.

But then she throws the mental script I've prepared for her in the trash. Hitting me with:

"So... you don't like the picture?" Her gaze is locked on mine. Confident and challenging.

I feel the tension between us thicker than ever before. Our eyes locked. My heart beating hard against my chest. An all too familiar tug in the pit of my stomach that wants to tell her the truth. That I do like her picture.

"I never said that." My voice is deep, my words causing the tension to grow even more. Her eyes darken a shade.

"I- I think I'll pour myself some water. If that's okay." She doesn't wait for a response, she stands up and starts walking towards the side desk with my assortment of drinks and snacks.

"Please, allow me." I stand up too, following closely behind her.

She stops in front of the table, her hand reaching out and grabbing the handle of the water pitcher. I place my hand on top of hers. Feeling her warm skin beneath my palm and her heart beating wildly in her wrist.

She turns around and takes a step back, sitting on the counter. I take a step closer, my legs touching hers.

I reach my hand out and brush a strand of hair behind her head. She inhales and our eyes lock.

There's a spark of desire and confidence, but then I see a flash of doubt.

"Am I making you uncomfortable, Valentina?"

My voice is deep and raspy, my fingers still curled around the strand of hair. Unwilling to let go.

She shakes her head no, softly. Our eyes still locked in a tense game of who will stop this first? It should be me, I know it should.

I inch closer and she tilts her head up. I could kiss her. I want to kiss her. My eyes fall to her lips that are slightly parted.

I shift closer slightly, craning my neck down until our faces are only a breath apart. My hands now firmly set on either side of her, holding onto the counter for support.

I look back into her eyes and see the flicker of doubt again.

"I- uhm." Her voice is barely above a whisper, if I wasn't so close I probably wouldn't have heard it.

"Yes, sweetheart?" The doubt in her eyes grows.

"I can't do this." I barely hear it. I almost don't hear it. But those four words snap me out of my daze.

I push off of the counter quickly and walk out of my office. Shutting the door softly behind me.

I take four deep breaths. My thoughts are racing almost as fast as my heart.

What the fuck just happened?

More importantly, what does it mean?

〽️〽️〽️

Wow, this one was a little hard to write but I love it.

What do you think?? >>

Follow - Vote - Comment!

Thanks for reading,
Mia x

The Professor जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें