Chapter Twenty Six • Thanksgiving

Valentina

I stick the pumpkin pie in the backseat and put Kiwi on her seatbelt in the passenger seat.

The ride to Mark's house is quick since we both chose to live close to campus.

I couldn't afford to travel to Arizona for Thanksgiving and Christmas so I'm grateful Mark is not letting me spend it alone.

I feel a little bad that my Abuela has to spend it alone with my mom but she reassured me everything would be okay. She's going to call me later and tell me how it went. Hopefully my mom doesn't have the same idea.

When I get to Mark's house, he's waiting outside to open my car door.

As soon as I turn the engine off, he pulls me out of the car and hugs me, planting a kiss to my forehead.

"Hey, sweetheart." He smiles into my curls.

"Hi, Mark." My voice is muffled by his shirt.

Kiwi barks from inside the car and Mark let's me go to grab her. I watch him pet her and hug her close to his chest.

Even though Kiwi has grown, she's so tiny in his hands.

He walks us inside and I set the pie on the counter by the other food.

We feed the dogs and then sit down, ready to dig into the meal he prepared when the doorbell rings.

"I didn't know you were expecting anyone." I look at Mark, confusion plain on my face.

"I'm not." He frowns, his brows knit together.

He stands up and walks over to the door, his open floor plan makes it easy for me to see from my seat as he swings the door open.

The blood drains from my face at the familiar face standing there.

My mom.

***

Mark

The small woman at my front door bites her lips and winks at me, twirling a strand of straight hair between her fingers.

"Hey, cutie." Her voice is dripping with insinuation.

"Sorry, not interested." I say, preparing to close the door.

She puts a hand on it to keep it open.

"I'm at the wrong house but maybe it's destiny, I can show you a good time." She winks again.

I'm about to protest and close my door, dazed by this strange interaction when Valentina's voice stops me.

"Mom, what are you doing here?" She sounds agitated and a little tired. The frown on her face confirms my suspicions.

I never would have guessed this woman to be Valentina's mom. They resemble each other a little in their eyes but as far as personalities go, they could not be farther apart.

"Valentina, introduce me to this man." She says, placing a hand on my arm.

Valentina sighs deeply and avoids my eye contact.

"Mom, this is Mark. Mark, this is my mother." She gestures between the two of us.

"You make me sound so old." Valentina's mom makes a small gagging sound. "My name is Carla, and I can promise you that being her mother is the only place my age shows."

Her hand goes higher on my arm, resting on my bicep.

"Nice to meet you." I grit out, stepping back uncomfortably to remove her hand.