Chapter 30

Peridot's POV:

I can't keep it from Lapis anymore. I have to tell her, even if it means Lapis' mother's power to keep us away from one another. But I wasn't afraid of her; what was the worst her mother could do? I am 21. We are young adults, capable of making our very own decisions. Tiffany shouldn't be able to tell us what we can and can't do, especially not me.

Lapis' eyes grew slightly wider as she heard my words. "What do you mean?" Lapis lifted her brow in confusion as she lifted my hand off of her mouth. "Well, uhm..." I hesitated, biting my lip. I've gone too far in now, I can't just back off and say nevermind. "Well, yesterday... yesterday I heard your mother speaking with your father outside when we were looking for her, and your father doesn't seem like the violent person. I heard your mother threatening to call the police for something your father never did or will do. Your mother is pretending that your father is a madman, but she's just saying that so that you could stay longer with her." There was a silence, an abnormally long one. Lapis' eyes were wide in shock. But what she said next caught me entirely off guard. "You're wrong," Lapis said softly as she held her one arm, looking down.

"Pardon?" I said, slightly offended at her remark. "My mother would never do that," Lapis said, a bit louder now. "Lapis, do you think I would lie to you?" I said with a frown, becoming a bit more defensive. "Yes! You're lying! My mother had always told me the truth, and even if what you're saying is the truth, I would've known about it," Lapis said, gritting her teeth. "But you're wrong! I know what I heard and saw! Your mother even told me that if I ever told you this, she would never let us see one another again," I said, my chest puffed up slightly as adrenaline rushed through me when I spoke. "Okay, Peridot, you're going too far now! Stop lying! This isn't like you," Lapis said, her fists now clenched together, she had inched closer to my face. She was frowning heavily and had an irritated expression. But something told me that what she was saying wasn't entirely believable, even to herself.

"No! I'm not backing down, I'm saying what needs to be said, especially for the things that are right!" I yelled back angrily. It was even a surprise that Tiffany hadn't heard my yelling from the corner. Weird. There were a few seconds of silence before Lapis spoke in a cold tone. "Get out," Lapis said, looking down. "W-what?" I asked, shocked at her sudden change of tone and what she had just said to my face. "I said get out!" Lapis shouted. One could see tears stinging at the corner of her eye. I didn't move; I didn't know how to after that loud command.

Suddenly, Lapis grabbed my wrist and pulled me away from the corner and into the open of the living room. I wanted to get out of Lapis' hold, as I tried to wiggle out. Lapis was now dragging me across the room in silence, while I struggled to get out of her tight hold. What was strange was that Tiffany was nowhere to be seen. Right before we wanted to walk past the kitchen, both of us heard Tiffany speaking on the phone with the same irritated and angry voice. Lapis decided to stand still for a few seconds to listen in on the phone conversation, still holding onto my wrist.

"Like I said, get close to my home and I'm calling the cops."

Lapis' eyes grew wide. I knew it wouldn't be enough information to prove that I was right, but it did show that some of my accusations were correct.

"No! I told you yesterday, over my dead body will you get close to my daughter."

"Don't you dare say sorry! You don't deserve forgiveness."

"You- you didn't just talk back to me! You rudely interrupted everything I was going to say!"

"Oh, please."

"You deserve nothing! You don't deserve to see her. That fight the other night proves me correct as well!"

"Get off it, Liam! Lapis doesn't want to see you, and I'll make sure you never see her-"