Chapter 26

Peridot's POV:

"Okay, this is the day Peridot. It will be simple, just ask her. It's not that hard, you clod," I spoke to myself, holding a small bouquet of desert bluebell flowers in one hand, and the other hand tightly gripped at the side of my thigh, standing in front of Lapis' front door. I would say I was nicely dressed at that time, had a neat collared shirt, more tightly placed jeans, and plain black sneakers. But the fact of my hot neck and sweaty palms didn't help. I would lie to you if I said I wasn't nervous to tell the prettiest girl in the universe how I felt about her. I even wrote a well-thought-out and poetic-like script that I would follow through when it would come to the point of my confession. But I have a feeling at the end of the day, I'll just mess it up and roll over a horrible stutter.

I inched closer to the door to knock, hoping for an answer, but at the same time not. I shuffled nervously, my body became more stiff every second. But there was only silence. Only a few odd seconds later, a loud rumbling noise came from inside the house, sounding like someone was wrestling a warthog to the death. I shook off my confusion when the door suddenly flung open. I put on my best smile. "Hey Lazul-" Before I could even finish my greeting, I was grabbed by the collar of my shirt and pulled into the house quicker than the wind itself. "GAH! What the hell Lazuli?!" I protested as I dusted myself off. Lapis closed the door behind her; the beautiful blue-colored flowers were now slightly out of place, and a few petals had left their original positions.

I turned around to see Lapis rush over to grab a bag from the corner, stuffing a few accessories into it, zipping it closed, and throwing it over her shoulder. Before I could even question what was happening, Lapis snatched my arm once again and rushed out of the door, dragging me towards my own car that stood on the side of the curb. "Wh-what is going on?" I said faintly as I was being led towards my car. "C'mon," Lapis said in return. That didn't help my many questions at all. Lapis opened the driver's seat and placed me down on it roughly. I was too stunned to speak as I saw her rush over to the seat next to me. Without saying a word, she buckled herself in and closed the door behind her once she took a seat. There was an awkward silence of both of us just looking into one another's eyes blankly. "What the hell?" I snapped quickly as I gestured with my hand angrily. "Okay, okay, this might be a lot to ask, but I really need you to take me to my mother..." Lapis said softly as she turned her head, ashamed.

My eyes shot open. Certainly not what I was expecting her to say. "Wait, what?" I asked in confusion, trying to process what her request was implying. Lapis sighed heavily as she leaned over her seat and placed her bag, which was originally over her shoulder, on the back seat of the car. "My mother and father are getting a divorce. I'm not sure why they haven't gone to court to sort it out yet. But my mother just texted me that she doesn't feel safe with my dad. I need to get there ASAP to make sure she's okay, and my bike won't do the job." Lapis said as quickly as she could without taking a single breath, leaving here with little gasps afterwards. I only blinked in response. I squinted my eyes as I placed the now entirely messed up bouquet on my lap. "Sure, I can take you." I said softly with a soft and reassuring smile. I would never know what Lapis was going through. As a kid, I was the most adored only child with slight snapp attitudes every now and then, but my parents are as loving as they could be. I never had to experience anything such as that, so if I could help Lapis in anyway I could, I will. Lapis said as quickly as she could without taking a single breath, leaving her with little gasps afterwards. I only blinked in response. I squinted my eyes as I placed the now entirely messed up bouquet on the back seat next to Lapis' bag. "Sure, I can take you," I said softly with a soft and reassuring smile. I would never know what Lapis was going through. As a kid, I was the most adored only child with slight snappy attitudes every now and then, but my parents were as loving as they could be. I never had to experience anything like that, so if I could help Lapis in any way I could, I would.