Chapter 13

Lapis' POV:

"Steven!" I said happily as I threw myself on him, embracing him in a gentle hug. "H-hey Lapis!" Steven said with an innocent giggle. Steven is a young boy who helped me fit into the city when I first moved. He showed me around and even helped me choose a house to stay in, which I'm currently residing in. "What are you doing here, Steven?" I said, backing away and kneeling down to his height. "Well, we might have a surprise for you. Want it?" Steven said with a mischievous grin, shuffling his foot. "Uh, yeah, sure!" I said, feeling confused but delighted. "Great! Bring her out, Dad!" Steven called from the van behind him. I looked up to see the van door slide open and a bright orange-pelted corgi puppy pouncing out. It stumbled over its own short legs as it came running towards me.

"Woah, woah, woah!" I shouted as the puppy darted towards me at full speed. Steven made way, letting the puppy pounce on me with licks everywhere. I couldn't help but laugh as the puppy showered me with love. "Hey there, little one, and who are you supposed to be, huh?" I said with light giggles as I stroked the orange corgi, its tongue sticking out in happiness and its small tail wagging ferociously. "This is Pumpkin," Steven said, answering my question. "We found her near a dumpster next to 'Brunch it up,' your job. We wanted to grab a coffee for the day and thought to say hello to you while we were at it. But instead, we found this girl," Steven said, rubbing his neck with a smile as he bent down to pet Pumpkin.

"Once we saw that you weren't at work, we decided to check on you. But thought that you would like some company if you wanted it as well. So we brought this girl to you, if you'd like her," Steven said, now standing up straight with his hands behind his back. My eyes got bigger; it almost felt like I wanted to cry again, but this time out of happiness. "Really? That would be so amazing," I said with a happy sniff as I hugged the puppy in my arms. "Then Pumpkin is all yours," Steven said, satisfied. "Thank you so much, Steven Universe," I said, standing up, leaving the puppy on the ground as I gave Steven a thoughtful hug. As we released the hug, I looked down to see the puppy already running inside the house, making herself at home. Steven giggled. "Well, looks like she's already very comfortable with you. So I'll be leaving you and her in good hands now. See ya later, Lapis!" Steven shouted as he walked back to his van, with his father waiting in front of the steering wheel.

"Bye Steven! And goodbye MR Universe!" Greg, Steven's father, gave me a nod in acknowledgment and a smile as Steven climbed in at the back of his van. As I saw their van go further and further down the road, I decided to head inside and welcome Pumpkin in. This was very unexpected. I don't know how to take care of a dog, and neither do I have anything for the dog - not a bed, no bowls, no treats. Looks like I have a lot of research and shopping to do. I'll do it tomorrow.

I closed the door behind me, locking it. I called out Pumpkin's name, but there was no sound. "Pumpkin?" I shouted, looking around for a bright orange-furred corgi running around frantically. Suddenly, I heard a bark coming from my room. I got a panicked sensation as I darted up the stairs, entering my room. There Pumpkin was, shredding one of my pillows on my bed. Feathers everywhere. "No, no, no! Pumpkin!" I groaned as I picked her up before she got another pillow in one of her paws. I gave a low sigh; I was too exhausted to be mad at Pumpkin. Besides, it's her first day here; she has a lot to learn. And so do I. Guess I have to add pillows to the shopping list.

I sat her down on the bed as I lay on the pillows that weren't shredded yet. Feathers surrounded my covers, but I didn't mind; I'll clean that up later. My emotions were unpredictable right now. My mind was excited that I had a new companion in my home, but my thoughts would also bounce back to my parents. As Pumpkin played with the leftover feathers on the bed, she would look up in my direction, slowly walking towards my face. My eyes darted towards her as she placed a lick on my cheek, a small giggle left my mouth as I grabbed her and held her in my arms, nuzzling between her coat. Pumpkin didn't mind, as she eventually fell asleep in my arms, and I did the same.

(827 Words)