Chapter 8

Chapter 8

☆☆

"Merrow"

The sudden noise near her ears started her into wakefulness with a splash.

Milk-powdered water scattered above the tub and around it in waves as Draconia righted herself with a shiver.

Something dark jumped back in fright, and her focus zoomed immediately on  it.

Bright green eyes stared back, ears pricked in intense interest and equal surprise. Its whiskers held water drops, and the fur surrounding its neck and face was wet.

Draconia blinked the drowsiness away and groaned. She slept in the bathtub again. The tub is cold and hard against the back of her head. The bones in her neck were throbbing uncomfortably; she hissed at the pain.

“Sorry for startling you,” she groaned, feeling ridiculous, watching the cat shake its body dry, knowing it didn't understand a single word.

Draconia arched her back in a stretch, kneading the muscles around her neck and shoulders before wandlessly draining the tub’s dirty water and turning the shower's handle. She turned when she heard a strange, high-pitched sound only to find how stiff and still the scar-headed feline appeared.

Its eyes dilated comically and seemed to focus on the wetness of her shoulders and upper body, hidden behind her long, wet hair. Suddenly, its ears straightened up, tail unmoved and half curled in the air, before the cat scrambled out of the bathroom. 

She frowned in confusion and looked down at herself; Draconia knew that creatures and animals in all forms couldn't understand nudity as humans do,  so it might have been the wetness. Felines really hate getting wet, huh? 

Draconia watched it disappear outside, near the bed and away from her sight. She frowned at its strange behaviour. Now that she wasn’t half drunk out of her mind, Draconia couldn't figure out why the creature wasn't, well, wild; considering it was raised and born in the wildness of the Forbidden forest. For a predator, it acted quite tamely. 

Maybe it's a lost pet

Draconia gasped in realization before sneezing. The lingering water drying on her body made her shiver unconsciously at the coldness.

After washing her hair quickly, she dried herself and wore her bathrobes before toeing into the room, searching for the lost pet and found it under her bed, dozing with her dark stockings between its paws, although its size could barely fit; Draconia snickered under her breath at the adorable sight.

The next hour was a rush of fixing her hair and getting ready for breakfast, eager to watch the empty castle Christmas decorations and atmosphere.

Draconia was left feeling unpredictably saddened by the fact that her only company for the holidays was a wild cat that would rather be in the woods; so even the cat's company won't last. 

She sighed and looked at herself in the mirror, half-heartedly admiring the pair of pearls Blaise sent before pulling a black coat over her shoulders and crouched down near the bed on one knee, mindful of her pleated, dark skirt. 

“Hey,” she snickered, flicking an ear with her thumb before scratching the cat's head, feeling its scar again. The feline gave a grumble before opening one eye, glaring at her with slit green eyes. Draconia smirked back and flicked it again between its eyes playfully, but gently, the cat gave a deep sort of grumble in response.

“Aren't you hungry?” Draconia asked softly, watching the creature in fascination as it got out gracefully from underneath the bed to stretch.The cat's back arched into a sharp curve. Its tuft ears were half back and its eyes squeezed shut, head pulled back, chin tucked in, showing how sharp those canines were before the furry body relaxed, and the eyes opened in narrow slits just showing a hint of color. She stood and took a startling step back when the cat started to rub itself around her legs and thighs and skirt, surprisingly hard.

Draconia looked down at her skirt and scowled before saying fondly “You are a menace.”  All she received was a grumble of sorts as It  sat back on its rears. 

Draconia was fascinated inwardly at how human the cat looked, giving her a smug look of satisfaction as if to prove a point, its long tail switching back and forth on the carpet almost playfully.

A quick spell later to get rid of the dark fur attached to her skirt and coat, she guided the huge cat through the empty corridors that led to the kitchen's while humming, knowing enough about the house elves morning routine by now.

Tbc..