Chapter 3

☆☆

☆☆

Chapter 3

☆☆

For the next couple of weeks after that, Potter's appearance didn't increase, he stopped ambushing her unexpectedly every time she was alone. They shared classes and a cauldron twice and sneaked gazes at each other at mealtime. Draconia couldn't help but be suspicious, because maybe he stopped bothering her in the halls but his presence was insistence all on its own, sometimes she feels the heat of his eyes on her back, following her movements. Everywhere she turned, there was Potter staring at her, but he didn't approach, he just watched her.

Draconia doesn't understand what this fixation with her is all about, but it begins to make her annoyingly uncomfortable and she more often than not, picture herself openly hexing those eyes out of his sockets. Sometimes, kissing the emotions out of his face. At least it would stop the staring as well as cause him due anguish and pain and well, terror.

And luck, as it turned out, was something she lacked greatly. So naturally, it happened again.

After spending a long evening at the library, she was tiredly dragging herself up the stairs to the dormitory when she heard a faint sound, close to a giggle behind one of the armors in the corridor. She didn't think so much of it, her mind was otherwise occupied with her due homework assignments.

That was her mistake.

Then suddenly Draconia's legs got caught in some tripping jinxes that made her halt close to the staircase only to miss a step and tumble dangerously, her bag flying away in her failed attempts to catch herself by the wall, scattering parchments and quills everywhere.

Draconia let a terrified yelp, inwardly let a stream of curses and tensed, ready for the impact and the pain to set in. Instead; she was knocked into a sturdy figure who caught her by the waist, steering her away from the staircase.

Draconia tensed, momentarily realized that the stranger's arms were wrapped much too tightly and intimately around herself; a hand resting on the small of her back, she could feel the stranger's hot breath close to her left ear and her body unconsciously gave a shudder.

Draconia took a moment to thank her lucky stars that she hadn't fallen to her death and to calm her heaving chest as she swallowed past the lump in her throat. The arms around her loosened a little but the hand resting on the small of her back stayed, warm and heavy. Draconia breathed deeply and froze, noticing the scent of familiar pine or fresh cut grass filling her nostrils.

"Are you okay? That was a close call, Malfoy. You need to be more careful." Potter's voice whispered in her ear and she instantly tried to take a few steps away from Potter's warm body with a flushed face, but he didn't let go. Instead, he rubs circles on the vulnerable part above her skirt band with the meat of his thumb; she stumped the urge to shiver.