Chapter 6

☆☆

Chapter 6

☆☆

It was freezing on the way back to the dormitory, and the cat's weight began to numb her arms and Draconia wondered why she didn't cast a simple levitation charm. She stumbled twice on her way up the stairs toward the Eighth common room and was gifted with the stillness and silence by the lack of students and classmates.

The cat growled softly when Draconia accidentally jolted its wounded rear once she reached her room and tried to grip her wand to open the door. She shushed and soothed it softly by searching behind its ears again, before giving a hiccup that almost set her into a fit of soft giggles.

The portrait hanging on the opposite wall of her room opened his mouth slightly in shock before frowning at her accusingly. Draconia scowled back at him; it was a rather nice portrait, without the unbearable pain-in-the-arse wizard inside it, who kept sticking his crooked, large nose where it didn't belong.

"That thing shouldn't be allowed into the grounds of such an ancient and traditional school like Hogwarts, Lady Malfoy," Sir Nickolas Sparrows the Third drawled as he leaned down onto the frame, mindful of his long, pale beard.

Finally she freed her hand to reach her wand, staggering under the cat's increasing weight on her left arm but she quickly taped the password on the small gnome carved into the wall beside her door

It opened and she stumbled into the room, not before sticking two fingers up at Sir Nickolas and slamming the door, ignoring his outrageous yells.

Draconia's legs moved over to the side of the bed and as gently as she could manage, she lowered the cat on the soft mattress and sighed in relief, shaking her arms to rid the numbness off. Her dark robes were now tangled around the massive, pitch black, cat. It mowed roughly, kneading the softness under its paws, showing white, large claws that should have been.. alarming to Draconia but otherwise, it didn't move.

Draconia lowered herself beside the creature and blinked into those green, green eyes.

"Hurt?" She mumbled in sympathy, revealing the wounded rare with a grimace. The cat's tail went rigid and her ears flattered threateningly while it growled. It was a deep, cutting sound that vibrated the mattress underneath them and Draconia was suddenly reminded that it did have claws larger than half of Draconia's fingers; she blinked in disbelief but kept unmoved.

How could a cute, beautiful creature have such violent, scary claws? She was fascinated, or maybe it was the wine talking.

Draconia sucked her teeth into a concerned hiss and raised her wand, trying to remember anything from her latest Care To Magical Creatures class and came out empty, last time she took that class was three years and the experience was rather unpleasant. The cat's body tensed again and backed away with a warning hiss when Draconia waved her wand around the wound but she ignored it; she didn't know if the alcohol in her blood made her more courageous or more stupid, choosing to focus more on the bloodied wound surrounded by knotted, dark fur that she, as gently as she could master, shaved with a simple charm; the cat's ears flattened with a yowl but otherwise it didn't move.

Draconia set to cast non-verbal Healing Charms while biting her lip mindlessly. Those to mend muscle and sinew, those to knit torn skin, hastening charms to speed up recovery, blood-warmers to get the blood flow hastening more rapidly towards the rejuvenating wound. She'd practiced them all a number of times and could claim to be fairly familiar with them by now, the numerous times she went back after a severing curse thrown her way or other hexes that left her skin irritated and red and boiling; Nothing compared to last year, however.

Draconia memorized every healing charm and spell known in book or journal, even the charms to minimize scarring rarely took more than a few tries. They were easier than she expected when practiced non-verbally, unlike defensive or offensive spells, those were harder to get around and required more focus and a lot of patience and gentle wand movements.

The cat gave a feeble noise when the skin knitted itself back, then grew the shaved fur into its rightful length. It meowed, confused at its now healed rear and shifted, standing and stretching, still tangled in Draconia robes.

"Feeling good, now?" She mumbled and rubbed her sore eyes, Draconia didn't notice how late it was till she casted a Tempus and was surprised when it read a quarter past two in the morning. She yawned, feeling her bed welcoming her, and Draconia barely bothered to remove her clothes beside her shoes and school robes before climbing under the covers. The cleaning charm she casted on the covers had startled the cat that Draconia's brain had forgotten about and she was snapped by the sudden appearance of the creature's face looming over her, tail twitching back and forth over her feet.

Draconia blinked sluggishly back into those deep, green eyes before shifting around under the cat's weight, noticing that its black fur was filthy and unclean as well, probably from being stuck under a faller truck for Merlin knows how long. She refused to cuddle a filthy creature so Draconia casted a severe cleaning charm on it, and its fur puffed suddenly, clean and glistening under the candles soft light a beautiful pitch black color.

"You must be hungry," Draconia said suddenly, frowning. She doesn't have anything other than a half eaten turkey sandwich and an apple. The cat meowed, and jumped down before it gave itself a full-body ruffle and wandered around the bed curiously.

Draconia sat on her elbows, her arms barely able to hold her upright. before she tried to summon the half eaten sandwich and miscalculated. The object she summoned was a heavy textbook that, if she hadn't dodged in time, would have knocked her out cold with a loud thud.

"I guess I'm drunker than I thought, then." and tried to summon it once more, this time the contents of the sandwich splattered after it smacked her in the face.

"Definitely drunker than I thought," she snickered to herself, peeling a half lettuce leaf from her forehead.

Suddenly the cat jumped on the bed again next to her and started to lick and nip at the scattered turkey meat on her collarbone and neck. Draconia laughed loudly, ticklish, and tried to push the cat's face off of her and gather the scattered meat herself.

Eventually she had to cast another cleaning charm before she settled to sleep, thinking of hot baths and soaked, massive cats. The last thing before she drifted into a deep slumber, was the feeling of warmth weighted on her chest, physical and heavy.

 The last thing before she drifted into a deep slumber, was the feeling of warmth weighted on her chest, physical and heavy

TBC