Chapter Twenty-One: Tell Me What's Bothering You

May 1997 - Malfoy Manor

Every time I had stayed with Draco before, we were always greeted by Lucius. And Lucius always had a servant there to help with our bags. So I was very surprised to see Narcissa as we stepped off our second train from London to Wiltshire. She quickly ushered us to her and helped us with our bags herself. No servant. On the drive to Malfoy Manor, Draco and Narcissa seemed particularly quiet. It was like they knew something I didn't. Eventually, we arrived at Malfoy Manor. The car pulled up and Narcissa helped us with our bags while we walked into the house.

"I know this is unusual," she said as she escorted us into the house. "But you'll be staying in the east wing. Don't worry, you'll have everything you need. Food, servants, and all sorts. But it is of utmost importance that you don't leave the east wing. Am I clear?" I had never seen Narcissa so assertive. She was always so kind and welcoming. Not that she was being unkind and unwelcoming. But she was flustered.

"Yes," I said.

"Where's father?" Draco asked. Narcissa's face went white as she gave him an answer.

"In a...meeting," she said flatly. I didn't know what was going on. But Draco made me a promise. And I knew he would tell me what was going on eventually.

That night we were unpacking in silence when I noticed he had stopped. I turned around to look at him and saw that both hands were on a dresser as he looked down, bent over it. I walked up and hugged him from behind.

"Can you please tell me what's bothering you?" I whispered. He turned around and looked at me, holding back tears.

"He's...he's asked me to do something," he said.

"Who?"

"The dark lord. I've been chosen." He pulled up his sleeve to reveal that he had the dark mark on his forearm. The number one way to identify a death eater.

"What did he ask you to do?"

"I have to kill someone," he said.

"Who do you have to kill?"

"Dumbledore."

All the hairs on my body stood up.

"Are you actually gonna do it?"

"I have to," he said. "Or he's gonna kill me." I didn't know what to say. But then a haunting thought dawned on me.

"Why?"

"It's a punishment," he said. "My father failed him. Exposed him in the ministry. Got nearly all the death eaters locked up in Azkaban. This is how we prove that we're still valuable."

"You don't want this, right?" I asked. "You don't believe what he believes."

"I don't have a choice," he said.

"Draco," I said. "Is he...here?" Draco's lack of response and the way he hung his head told me all I needed to know. That's why we weren't allowed to leave the east wing. The most dangerous wizard in the world was living in Malfoy Manor.

I couldn't sleep that night. And for the first time, I wondered why the Malfoys had been so welcoming to me in the first place. I had only very recently come out of living a fully muggle life. Why were they so kind to me? Why was Narcissa still being kind to me? Also, where has my dad been? Why hadn't I seen him all year? Was he here? Did he even know I was here? Did Narcissa notice that I didn't even walk through the door that she said would be my room. Did she notice how Draco and I were sharing a room? Is she ok with it? Is Draco really going to kill Dumbledore?