Chapter Nineteen: The Breaking Point

March 1997 - Hogwarts

A few weeks later after many failed attempts at talking to Draco about what was bothering him, Jane and I sat in the great hall by ourselves during a study hall.

"So what's going on?" she asked me. "How are things with Draco?" I sighed as I hesitated to answer. But just in time, Harry came by to ask me a question.

"Grace," he said, still carrying that potions book. "I was just wondering if you were ever going to need this back."

"Oh," I said. "I mean, I don't really need it. You can keep it."

"Awesome," he said. "Thanks. And um, you, uh, you hear anything lately?" he asked, trying to be discreet about his words around Jane.

"No, Harry," I said. "I don't know anything you don't."

"Alright, then," Harry said. "But when you do, please let me know." With that, he walked away to join Ron and Hermione.

"What was that about?" Jane asked me.

"I'd rather not talk about it," I said. "I don't know what's going on with Draco, though."

"So how did you feel that he blew off the game?"

"I don't know," I admitted. "There's a disturbing lack of communication. I just don't know how to approach it. I know there's something bothering him, I just can't figure out what it is. And I need to know. He needs to tell me but he's far too proud to admit he's not strong enough to do it on his own."

"Speaking of which," Jane said as she glanced at the door. I turned to see Draco had just walked in and made eye contact with Harry...who was talking to Katie Bell. I quickly put together what was happening as Draco swiftly turned back around, followed by Harry.

"That was odd," Jane said. But I knew what was going on.

"Yeah," I said. "I'll be right back." I stood up and followed Harry who was following Draco into the boys' lavatory. But by the time I got there, a fight was already in progress. I didn't want to intrude, but I stood outside the door, listening. Until I heard Harry cast Sectumsempra, and suddenly, there was no noise other than the sound of a busted pipe. I recognized Sectumsempra from that book, but never used it. I only knew that the book said it was for enemies. I rushed in to find Draco lying in a massive puddle of water bursting from the pipes. His white shirt was being soaked with blood that just appeared as if someone was cutting him with a sword. I heard his quiet sobs as I watched Harry stand over him like even he didn't know what he had done. I gasped and bit my hand, trying to contain myself. Suddenly, my dad walked past and stood above Draco, staring at Harry until he walked away. I realized it was one of the very few times I had seen my dad all year. I watched as he uttered a healing spell over Draco as the cuts seemed to heal themselves and the blood magically went away.

I was shaken up by the event. I couldn't tell Jane cause I couldn't even process what all had happened. But what frustrated me the most was that I could be no help to Draco if he wouldn't let me be. That night, I lay in my bed, reading a book. Not because I had to, but because I enjoyed reading to get my mind off of things. But suddenly, Draco came barging in. I was planning on pretending like I didn't know what happened because I was sure he didn't see me when it happened.

"What are you reading?" he demanded in a soft voice.

"What?" I asked. I was just shocked that he was so concerned about my book.

"What are you reading?" he asked again.

"Uh, Pride And Prejudice," I said.

"I don't know that," he said instantly. "Why don't I know that book?"

"You're not much of a reader," I said with a shrug.

"Give it to me," he said, extending his arm to take my book. "Give me the book." I put the book in his hand and watched him flip through the pages. "Is this a muggle book?" he asked me.

"Yeah," I said. "And?"

"You know how I feel about muggle things," he said through a menacing chuckle. It kind of scared me.

"Give me my my book back." But he threw it on the floor.

"Damnit, Grace! You know how I feel about muggle things!"

"Draco, pick it up."

I didn't think about what happened next in the moment that it was happening. I don't know why I did what I did. All I saw was a hand go in the air. I didn't think that he would ever hit me. The thought had never crossed my mind. But in the split second when it looked like he might do it, I did the only plausible thing. I flinched. But moments went by and there was no strike across my face. I looked up and saw that the hand that went into the air was resting on the bedpost. Then I saw Draco staring at me, horrified.

"You thought I would..." he muttered. "Did you actually?" I didn't know what to say. I thought maybe I should just calm him down.

"Draco," I said, reaching for him. But he quickly moved out of my reach.

"No," he whispered through forming tears. "I can't do this."

"Draco!"I finally screamed. I think this broke him. He burst into tears. He fell into my lap as I stroked his hair. And that's how we stayed all night. He didn't say a word.