Chapter Twenty-Six: Clarity

June 1996 - Hogwarts

My second year at Hogwarts was coming to an end. After losing Sirius, Harry needed some space. I understood. We weren't on a break or anything. He just needed a little distance. From everyone, not just me. I spent a lot of time with Jane. We had restored our friendship. After a wild year of being more involved with the war than ever, I could finally relax. I could focus on enjoying my fifth year. A lot happened that year. Too much really. Way too much. It felt like I had spent a lifetime at Hogwarts already. But one thing interrupted my end-of-year peace: I could not stop thinking about Draco.

Jane had told me that he had been acting differently. He was bitter and angry throughout most of the year. Of course, he was. It was my fault, too. And my dad had been acting a little strangely towards me. He barely ever spoke to me. And when I looked back on almost every encounter we had, he was treating me like a student, and not a daughter.

At the end of the year, Harry wanted to see Dumbledore. He had barely seen him all year. He asked me to come with him. But when we walked in, it didn't seem like he was there. After analyzing the room, we turned around to leave. But Dumbledore's voice stopped us.

"Harry," he said. "Grace. Come here." He called us over to his desk and we all sat down. "I know how you feel, Harry," Dumbledore said.

"No you don't," Harry said back. "It's my fault."

"No," Dumbledore insisted. "The fault is mine. I knew it was only a matter of time before Voldemort made the connection between you. I thought by distancing myself from you, as I have done all year, that he'd be less tempted. And therefore you might be more protected." I held Harry's hand as he continued to talk to Dumbledore.

"The prophecy said 'Neither one can live while the other survives.' It means one of us is going to have to kill the other...in the end."

"Yes," Dumbledore said hesitantly.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"For the same reason you tried to save Sirius," Dumbledore said. "The same reason your friends saved you. After all these years, after all you've suffered, I didn't want to cause you any more pain. I cared too much about you. Is there anything else you'd like to discuss with me?" Harry shook his head. "Grace?"

"Professor," I said. "Perhaps you can help me? I need some clarity. And some explanation."

"What can I help you with?"

"Was my father a death eater?" Dumbledore hesitated to answer.

"I don't think he would appreciate me telling you all that I know," he said.

"Please, professor," I begged. "We're friends with the Malfoys. I know Lucius is a death eater. I just don't know which side my dad is really on. Or why he treats me like I'm just another student and not his daughter? Or why he..."

"Why he what?"

"It's weird," I said. "When I first came to live with him, he said his only rule was that I could never date Draco Malfoy. I don't know why. Please tell me something, professor. He won't." Dumbledore sighed.

"Harry, may I ask you to leave? It won't be long. You can wait for Grace outside the door." Harry agreed and walked outside, promising to wait for me. "Your father was indeed a death eater. But for reasons I cannot tell you, he is now a spy for us. I know there are things you want to know. I know you want to fight, and I know he wants you not to. And I cannot tell you these answers. But I can assure you, you'll find out in due time. I can tell you one thing, however. Your father will do anything to keep Voldemort from finding out he has a daughter. For everyone's protection. That's probably why he's distancing himself from you."