Chapter Fifteen: Coming Home

January 1997 - Hogwarts

I wished we could walk hand in hand from the train to the castle because I knew how badly he needed it. But finally being back with him reminded me of how tricky it was to date behind my dad's back. But this time, it wasn't about puppy love or giggling about dating behind my dad's back. It was about knowing that someone relied on you to make it through a hard season because they loved you.

But we knew we had to separate when it was time for the feast and I was expected to sit with Gryffindor. I had talked to Draco and advised him to start sitting with Blaise and Jane again. And I sighed a breath of relief when I saw that he was. And even though I felt like my time with Harry, Ron, and Hermione was coming to an end, I sat with them anyway. Harry smiled at me as I sat down next to him.

"So," he said. "You got it sorted then?" 

"Yeah," I said softly.

"Oi," Ron said through a mouthful of food. "You hear that?"

"Hear what?" I asked.

"Ronald believes he hears yelling," Hermione said as if she was tired of him.

"The whole room is full of yelling," I said.

"Exactly," Hermione agreed.

"No, it's distinctive," Ron said. "It's got, like, a rhythm to it. Like a chant. It's just barely there, but I can hear it."

"You're ridiculous," Hermione said. "How was your holiday, Grace?'

"Oh, it was fine," I said.

"Fine?" Harry asked me. I looked back at Draco, and we locked eyes and smiled at each other.

"Good," I said. "It was good."

"Bloody hell," Ron said. "How do you not hear it?"

"Honestly Ronald," Hermione said.

"No," Harry interrupted. "I hear something too. Ron's right. Like a chant. Listen." The four of us went silent as Hermione and I tried to listen for something under the bustling noise of the great hall. I thought maybe I heard something, but it was incredibly faint and I wasn't sure that I wasn't just making it up in my head.

"I don't hear anything," I said.

"Hermione?" Ron asked.

"I don't hear anything either," Hermione said. But he face said otherwise. She probably did, and didn't want to admit she was wrong to Ron.

"Well, that's that then," I said. Suddenly I heard Jane's voice approach me.

"Hey, you," she said.

"Oh, hey," I said as I turned around so she wouldn't have to address the group to talk to me. "What's up?"

"Do you know what happened to Draco?" she asked. I glanced over at him.

"No," I said. "I haven't been talking to him, remember?"

"I don't know what's going on," she said. "He's been so distant all year long. Like he's there but he's not really there. And he keeps disappearing to do who knows what. And now suddenly he's willingly sitting with us and it's just weird. Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad about it. We've missed him. It's just weird."

"Huh," I said. "I...I don't know." Jane looked like she was patiently waiting for me to tell her the truth. But when she realized I wasn't being honest, her expression dropped and she was very straightforward with me.

"And I saw you two walking in together." Oh no. Busted.

"Yeah," I said. "I just...thought he looked lonely. So I...just decided to walk with him."

"That's bullshit," she said. "What's going on and JESUS CHRIST WHAT IS THAT NOISE?!" This time I actually noticed it. Ron was right. It sounded rhythmic like a chant. 

"You hear it too?" Ron asked.

"How could you ignore it?" Jane asked. "It's so annoying."

"I have to admit, I hear it too," Hermione said.

"I believe the correct response is 'You were right, Ron,'" Ron said to Hermione.

"Oh shut up," Hermoine said to him.

"Yeah, I hear it too," I admitted. "Jane, I'm not intentionally keeping secrets from you because I just don't want you to know. Now just isn't the time. Can we talk later?" It was the truth. I wasn't keeping Draco and I a secret just to keep Jane in the dark. It was just a safety precaution. But I wanted to tell her eventually.

"Sure," she sighed. "But I'm holding you to it." And with that she went back to her seat. By this point, everyone in the room had noticed this noise and were trying to make sense of it. But nobody could hear what it was saying over all the talking. Even the teachers at the front table had noticed. But eventually McGonnagall stood up and hushed everyone so we could hear what the noise was saying, and it horrified me.

"Grace Snape!...Grace Snape!...Grace Snape!"

All eyes went to me as my own eyes widened and I looked around at McGonnagall to do something. She looked back at Dumbledore, then quickly rushed out of the great hall to tend to whatever was making that noise. The students continued talking quietly.

"What the hell is going on?" Ron asked.

"I don't know," I said. But something told me to settle things with my friends. "Hey guys," I said. "I just wanted to tell you that you've been great friends. All three of you. I really love you guys." They all stared a me.

"What was that for?" Hermione asked.

"I just wanted to tell you," I said.

"You're alright, I guess," Ron said.

"Thanks, Ron," I scoffed. I knew he loved me.

Moments later, McGonagall returned...with the sorting hat. The sorting hat had been calling my name, and I knew what was coming. When McGonagall was at the front of the stage, we all looked around the room, unsure of what to do next. Then McGonagall cleared her throat.

"Miss Snape," she said quietly, gesturing for me to come forward. I looked around before standing up slowly and walking toward the stage. Draco and I locked eyes as McGonagall placed the sorting hat on my head.

"Ah," it said. "Happy to have you back Miss Snape. I can see you've done quite well in Gryffindor. Quite well, indeed. Many friends who've benefited from having you around. But something is telling me that a recent event is calling you somewhere else. Yes quite the...eventful holiday you've had. Yes, your time in Gryffindor is coming to an end. It's time for you to come home. One more time, now. Better be...SLYTHERIN!"