bonds between us

Chapter eighteen.

Wren.

I can't say that I don't remember a time where there wasn't Kian, when my brother wasn't by my side, because this time doesn't exist. Well, it does if you count the almost two hours between or birth, but that time isn't significant. It doesn't matter. It doesn't count.

My two hours before him mean nothing.

My point is, Kian was always just there. He was by my side when we grew up. At home. In the kindergarten. At school. In our soccer practice from when we were six to nine years old. He was at my every birthday party, can you believe that?

Sometimes I didn't like him at all. He just annoyed me for no reason. Was there really a need for another boy to be at our home, when there was me? Huh?

There were periods when we were at a warpath 24/7. There were times when we were best friends. He has always been my annoying Kian though.

I think it would have creeped me out when we were identical. Image being so confused looking at someone and that fucker is like a mirror. Oh fuck. No. It was a curly headed blonde frowning at a softly smiling brunette who was a bit taller than himself, hair straight and nothing like his ramen.

I disliked my brother the most when it was the time of puberty. He grew noticeably taller when we were fourteen and even more when we were fifteen. I only caught up (almost) when we were a few months from turning sixteen. That wasn't all. No. Puberty hit him like a train, not that it was necessary. He was a pretty boy and with puberty he just got more grown and manlier. Still a fucking pretty boy.

It was me who was the unfortunate one. I was in the middle of my teen years looking like barely an eleven year old. I got acne, I got the ugly phrase. I got the extra weight that wasn't appealing to girls like Kian's sport teenage guy body. I WAS SPORTY TOO!

Imagine the smugness and cockiness I felt and showed when I was halfway through sixteen. Almost the same height as my twin. Acne under my control. I got abs!!! Kian got them braces ha, I somehow never need them.

Suddenly I had friends, out of nowhere girls talked to me like a normal person. Out of nowhere I was invited to parties and hang outs.

I can bullshit all I want, but I wouldn't be me if there wasn't my brother. Wren wouldn't be Wren when he didn't have his Kian.

I would be an absolutely different person. That's with all siblings and people though.

Though he didn't understand anything, didn't understand me at all at first, Kian was there for me during the hardest times of my life.

He was just by my side when I turned sadder than other kids around us, when I started being locked up in my room and when I didn't eat. When my depression thought it would ever win over me.

I turn my face away from my brother's side profile and look back to the sleek light wooden floor where the overly tall men bounce the orange ball.

Kian kind of dragged me to a basketball game of his favorite team playing against their biggest rivals. 'Kind of' as in I wasn't really against it, Kian just thought I was and considered him asking me to accompany him, as him forcing me to come here.

I like the sport enough to watch it, knowing and understanding it somewhat, not loving it enough to play it as a hobby. That's his field, not mine.

After we both quit soccer (mum forced us to join when we were just babies), we discovered our own interests. Kian tried out basketball training after casually playing at the hangouts with his friends. After a while he joined a team and he's still at that. He really loves the sport. I wouldn't be surprised if he continued at college. The last time we talked about it, he said that he is considering it.