girls and Romantic languages

Chapter 16

Wren.

I know I told my parents that I won't be at the family dinner tonight when they asked, but here I am. Turning off my car, stepping out and locking it.

A familiar car in the driveway. I quietly ascend the stairs to get to my room, so I can shower and change clothes. I make it quick, knowing Kian and dad are bringing food to the dining room from the kitchen.

I'm taking the last steps of the stairs as I button up the last of my shirt, leaving the last two undone.

We haven't agreed to all dress up, and it isn't expected. I do it as a kind of apology to my parents for being the way I am, for doing the shit and being involved in things I shouldn't. Not that looking chick will fix anything.

Mom has laid a dark-gray tablecloth on the dark wood long rectangular table. It's narrow enough so a bit of the longer sides of the table are showing.

Mom, Kian, Carmen and God-damn-Perez are sitting on one side of the table already. On the other side is Uncle Lucas' family- him with his wife Arianna and daughter Aurora.

Dad enters the room just after me, patting me on the shoulder and going to sit next to mom.

I walk past Lucas' family's backs, saying a quiet greeting to everyone and sit next to Aria on the last seat of the row. Just across from me is Perez and next to him Carmen.

I raise my hand to send a little wave and smile to her, her lips quirk up, but Francis Perez is the one who waves back at me excessively, grinning.

Heads turn our way, but I ignore them, brushing it off.

'You chill?' I mouth to Carmen.

She nods.

Carmen is wearing a white sweater that a thousand percent belongs to my mother. They did go shopping a few days ago, but, you know, Carmen's style isn't at all 'family dinner vibe' appropriate.

My Carmen is all short skirts and small tops, patterned tights, lacy bras and cut-up long-sleeved shirts to make them look cooler like the coolest miss she is.

"We got soup," Ma smiles, sending a small basket with bread around the table.

**

I scoop up a small girl walking in front of me from behind her. She shrieks as I cradle her to my chest in bridal style.

"Hi, Rory. I haven't seen you in so long," I grin at Aurora. She's a shy little seven-year-old, but she laughs loudly when I tickle her with one hand, her wavy hair swaying side to side when she shakes her head.

I stop my attack on her, and her bright green eye beam up at me, "I'm doing good, Wrenny"

I grimace at the nickname, and she laughs.

"Got any boys chasing after you at school or what?" I tease her, as I carry her to the living room.

Lucas smack me in the arm, glaring, "Don't even start!"

I send him a kiss and a grin to Aria when I see her crossing her arms from the couch she's sitting on. They both leave for the kitchen to catch up even more with my parents, so I take the opportunity to talk to Carmen.