Carmen's bullies

Chapter Six

Wren.

Gamwell.

Moving to Gamwell from the city wasn't the first time I had been here. Marymoore is a big city, skyscrapers, malls, buildings you can't see the end of all reflections and glass walls. Gamwell isn't anything near to that.

It's outside of Marymoore, Ashford to the other side of it. Gamwell is by the seaside, one of the reasons mum wanted to move here.

But that's beside the point.

The thing is, I have been here before. Way too many times than I should have, it's one of my biggest secrets. I don't keep too many of them, but that's a thing that will only belong to me.

Even Kian doesn't know, and he knows everything about me.

I sigh deeply, my eyes drooping tiredly, and I quietly shut the front door behind me, leaving the almost freezing night air outside. I hope my noisy ass car didn't wake anyone. Because quite frankly, I don't have an explanation for where I was out that late without anyone knowing,

Well, I'm eighteen and allowed to do whatever I want, but my parents still want me to note someone when I go out, just in case. At least a text or something.

The house is old, but it's beautiful. The stairs don't creek and only a few things about the interior are a bit more modern. It's not exactly a beach house but it might as well be. It's barely a ten-minute walk there.

Ten minutes to the soft white sand and dark sea. Alexandra needed to get back to the beach and Waverly, though close to soul, held too many memories and pictures and feelings, it would have broken it.

I'm not complaining. It's quiet here, no city noise, no anxious traffic or painful crowds of people.

The lights are out, but I know everyone is home. It's warm here, the new home feels like home thanks to the people in it.

I walk past Kian's room; his door is cracked open slightly and his small lamp is on. Stopping, I gently push the door more ajar to see my brother sitting on a chair by his table. He has a book open on a desk, another on his bed.

He's the reader, he got the gene I didn't.

Kian's tapping his foot against the floor, and I know he's anxious, so that's probably why he isn't currently reading said books.

He takes off his glasses and swirls around with his chair when he hears me step in. "Wren"

"Kian"

"Where were you?"

Ah, that.

"Out for a drive" I walk to his bed, accidentally stepping on another book on the floor. I sit on the edge of his bed, facing him, "Can't sleep? I question his awake being.

"No, I worry 'bout you" he grimaces, "Couldn't even focus on reading"

I shrug, it's not like I can make him stop worrying. I lay back on his bed, hand behind my head.

He stands up, "You smell of oil and motors and smoke. Please get the fuck out of my bed"

The fuck is lowkey a clean freak and darn god if anything dirties his bed or whatever.

Kian proceeds to shove me off the bed. I stand up, giving him the finger, I walk out of his room, "Goodnight to you too"

"Goodnight, you fucking bird"