Elizabeth Swann

Chapter Twelve.

Carmen.

Despite the jacket I have over my hoodie and the long sweatpants, I feel the effects of chilly night air, my fingers red and cramping even if I shove them into the pockets.

Underneath the pale moonlight, I stroll the street, not the pavement but the road. There are no cars, just the houses to both sides of me, some suburban family home area I have lost myself to.

I can feel the dried-up tears under my eyes and the river on my left cheek down to my jaw. Like sand. Biting into my skin like the wintry wind on my body.

I picture the hellfire behind me, the explosion, like in that one movie, and I force a grin- sharp and evil like it shouldn't be. Though. I'm just a child, walking away from the home that was supposed to be their safe place, my safety and cure from the nasty world.

It's the complete opposite actually.

And my heart is aching, dull. My life wasn't meant to be like that. I didn't deserve that.

I swallow the spiky lump in my throat, with shaking hands I raise my phone to my ear and call the only person who will walk this hell with me, who has always been by my side, my rock.

He picks up on the second ring.

I speak before he has a chance to. "Fran."

New tears are welling in my eyes and his name comes out as a broken whisper.

Please, I really, really need you.

"Carmen" Perez is on alert immediately, edge to his voice palpable.

I press my chapped bloody lips together and suppress a sob.

"It's shit, Fran" I breathe, "It is really shit, and I don't have anything left to do" I let out a long breath and hope I don't break on this call with him.

Swallowing feels scratchy and I cough, feeling the pain in my back and head.

Like a fucking loser I am, I lift the bottle to my lips and take a swig. The warmth, the comfort.

"Carmen, listen to me-"

"What the fuck do I do?" I almost scream into my phone, sobbing, my walk turns a bit wobbly.

I take a deep breath and try to hear what my best friend is saying to me.

"Send me your location, ya hear me?" Even in my state I can tell that he's struggling to stay calm. "Can you do that? Are you able to?"

"Yeah" I rush out with a tired sigh. "In a moment-"

I click away swiftly, really fucking trying because my sight is blurry and fuck. Returning to the call, "Did" I mumble something.

"That's good. Are you good, Carm?" he rushes.

"Mhm"

"I can't hear you." He sighs and I hear the slamming of the door through the phone, "I am going to get you, okay?"

"Perez?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you"

A beat of silence. "I love you too. Now, stay alive. I'll be there in a second"

This is bizarre, all is bizarre. I want to throw up.

I accidentally end the call.

Perez doesn't call back.

I halt in my steps.

Everything around me is familiar, but I couldn't tell you where I am to save my life. Literally.