Part 26

Carlos sat in Ferrari hospitality. He was texting Isa again. The two had been talking more recently than he remembered them talking in the final weeks of them dating. He liked it.

Isa was travelling to Italy to watch the race, but wanted to stay under cover to avoid the paparazzi. She wore a large sun hat and dark sunglasses, along with a flowing floral dress, concealing the small bump that she had already. Her heart skipped slightly at the sight of Carlos sitting outside Ferrari. His eyes lifted from his phone as she texted to say she was here. She felt like she could fall into them, a small tear spilling from beneath her glasses.

"Hello." Carlos nervously stood up from his seat, stepping towards Isa.

"Hello Carlos. Should we go somewhere else?"

"Definitely."

The two walked in silence, getting to Carlos's drivers room without any unwanted attention. Isa walked in as Carlos held the door for her, closing and locking it behind him. She sat down on his small sofa, as he stood with his back against the wall.

"Would you like to see the ultrasounds? They are from a month or so ago, but they're the closest to present as I can get."

"I would love to, can i?" Carlos gestured at the space on the sofa next to the woman.

"Of course Car," Isa patted beside her. "It's only right that daddy gets to see him."

"Him? You don't know that do you?"

"No no, I just have an inkling. The appointment is in a few weeks to see the gender, if you want to come?"

"Definitely, I wouldn't miss it for the world." Isa saw a light in Carlos's eyes that was all too familiar, yet she had not seen it in so long. Another tear threatened to fall as he looked at the ultrasound photo.

"That's our baby Isa. A real life baby." Carlos glanced at her stomach, when she was sitting down he could see a small bump, but he thought it would be slightly inappropriate for him to touch it. We are not together Carlos, get that in your head. It won't happen.

"Carlos? Are you listening?"

"Oh, sorry. I was just distracted."

"What's up Car? Are you okay?" Isa looked into his deep brown eyes, which drooped slightly at the outer corners, she knew that look, and didn't like it.

He sighed, placing a hand over hers. She didn't move away like he worried she would. "How are we going to do this Isa? We never planned on this, especially not after we broke up-"

"Shhh Carlos, it will be okay," Isa lifted her hand to his face, cupping his cheek. He leaned into it, feeling the familiar fluttering his stomach that had been missing for so long.

The two parents moved closer on the small sofa, both needing the comfort of each other's presence. Carlos wrapped his arms around the woman, who closed her eyes and breathed deeply, missing the scent of the man she missed so much. Carlos could feel his heart beating in his chest, Isa's head leaning against it, he knew she would hear.

"I'm scared Isa."

"Me too Carlos. But if anyone can do it we can, right?"

"You definitely can. I'm not sure about me." He chuckled slightly, looking down at Isa.

"Don't say that Carlos. We have each other, don't we?"

"I mean, of course. But, we live so far apart."

"I can get an apartment closer to you?"

"I would never let you pay to move, I will get you a house close to me, or- no, that's stupid."

"What's stupid?" Isa tilted her head at him, sitting back from the man.

"Do you want to move in with me again? I can get a big house outside the city, which you can live in until the baby is close, then I can join you. I don't want you to be alone with a newborn."

"That is a massive ask Carlos. I don't want you to do all that for me."

"I would do anything for you Isa, also it isn't just for you, it's for our family."

Carlos stood up, pulling her with him. He hugged the woman tightly, feeling her stomach against his body, imagining their child between them. He swayed slightly from side to side, and leaned his chin on top of her head. "I'm so sorry Isa. For everything."

"You didn't know this would happen Car, neither of us could have guessed."

"I don't mean just with the baby, I mean the breakup too, I have regretted it every day since."

"Don't say that." Isa took a firm stance. "We both know that it was right for us at the time. That might change in the future but for now we need to keep our lives separate. Apart from the baby of course."

~~~~

Full Carlos chapter? Let me know if you want this to be a short story by itself!