Preface part two-Eleanor

Ace is growing up to be such a nice, smart, young boy. Stacey, a fellow marine biologist, offered to teach our youth when we learned we wouldn't be able to leave here. She used her knowledge plus the small library we have here. She says Ace is excelling for his age group. Edward and I are very pleased.

We continue to research the marine life with no avail. Our lab is beginning to run out of supplies so we try to conserve what we can where we can. We have resorted to hand washing our instruments we used to throw away. This has helped us save a lot of our supply.

Edward and George have still continued to act very strange around me. They are always talking in low voices and avoid my eye contact. They continue to refuse to answer my questions. I feel like they are hiding something but I can't figure out what.

The time here at Aukai moves slow. The only pleasure I get is I get to watch Ace grow. He is the light of my life. He is what keeps me sane down here in our metal prison. I have accepted we will never leave. What I miss most is the sun. I am stuck in the lab most of the day doing the never ending research that has no meaning to me. I write my findings in a journal that stays in my part of the lab, George collects the filled journals and puts them away for one day that we possibly were to leave here. I miss our home in California the most. It was just minutes away from the beach. I still dream of my toes being in the soft warm sand as the ocean breeze stung my tan face. I dream that one day I will be able to go back there with Ace at my side so I can watch him play in the sand like a normal young boy, building sand castles with a bright orange plastic pail and a blue shovel to match. But not all dreams come true.

I have made friends with a fellow companion here at Aukai, her name is Suzy, she also has a son Ace's age. Suzy told me her and Scott have been married about as long as Edward and I have. Suzy and Scott met when they were in high school. Suzy was actually dating another young man all throughout high school. Her and that fella split. Scott and Suzy ended up at the same college where they ended up at the same party. She said they reconnected and they have been together ever since. They both went for Marine biology like Edward and myself. Our two young boys seem to have really hit it off so I am pleased with that. I am glad Ace has friends to grow up with and socialize. There are many kids here his age.

Life at Aukai will move on as the outside world around us perishes. We lost contact with the mainland months ago. We don't know if there is even anyone left outside of our colony and there is no way for us to reach anyone or leave this place. We will all die here.