Chapter eighteen: The funeral.

November 23rd, 2019
1:21am

The chains on the old library doors were rusted and I was having a hard time breaking them.
But I had to hurry to get in so no one would see me, and I had to find clues to Salmon Arm's past or at least something that could lead us to the murderer we were looking for.

The door was not going to open and I had to find another way in.
I started walking around the library and then I saw a window at the back of the building and that would be the way in.

I broke the window with the crowbar. The window led to an office and I quickly started looking around.
I opened many cupboards, many drawers looking for newspapers that would talk about events in Salmon Arm. Basically about murders...

But suddenly I noticed a usb in the computer.

{-}

November 2nd, 2019
2:43am

After being dropped off at home by Levi who looked different after the game. When I stepped my foot inside the house I was confronted by my mother.

"Where were you?" She asked me, she seemed to be waiting for me.
I walked passed her, climbing the first step.
"I asked you a question!" She pulled my hand.
"What do you want!" I shouted in irritation as I just wanted to go to my room.
"What were you doing with him?" She asked me suspiciously.
"None of your business!" I turned to leave but her words stopped me.
"Don't bring him into our house again he's a criminal! Just like his father!"

Even though I hadn't spoken to her in over two weeks this time I was interested in listening to her.

"What do you mean?" I glared at her.
"You didn't even know who you were putting in our house? How stupid can you be?" She said critically and laughed.
"Tell me!"
"So now you want to talk?"

We sat down in the living room.

"When I was pregnant with Nadia me and your father used to live here... In this house with the difference that then it had only one bedroom."

I was surprised as they had never told me they lived in Salmon Arm.

"You used to live here?"
"Yes, but that's not the important part. When we lived here his father was the mayor's son. Your father and I were the poorest in town at the time and he hated us because he thought we would do a lot of illegal things because of our poverty. We were young and foolish." Her eyes were beginning to fill with hatred.
"And?"
"And in the end it was discovered that he was the one involved. He was doing drugs, drinking and beating his wife Jenny, she confided everything to me and I told the police. But to no avail because he was the mayor's son and Jenny was pregnant with their eldest son at the time who I heard as soon as he turned 17 he left home and they haven't found him yet."

Levi had an older brother and he hadn't told me? He most likely hadn't told anyone.

"When I turned him in to the police he beat your father badly, not on his own of course. So we made the decision to pack our bags and leave."

{-}

We held arm in arm with Mia and walked a little further back from the coffin where our long lost friend slept forever inside.

"It makes me sick!" Mia whispered to me about Stephanie who was crying next to the coffin.
"Tell me about it!" I agreed.

They put Marcus in the pit and a stage with a microphone next to it.
The sheriff went up and started talking.

"I want to thank you all for coming here today and honoring my son! Many cannot do what I am doing now but I will not let silence defeat me. You all know that Marcus committed suicide but it's about time you knew the truth... My son didn't commit suicide... He was murdered!" As he spoke, rage was born.

Reactions of fear prevailed until Mr. George continued.

"But don't be anxious! I won't stop until I find the person who did this. I know he's somewhere among us. Goodbye son, I hope you'll hug your mom for me." He clenched his hands into fists and the pain in his voice though he wanted to hide it was evident.

Then Leo came up to speak.

"Hi...I don't know how these things start. Uh...well I'll start with the fact that he was the best friend I ever had, the best friend anyone could have. You were always there for everyone and the moment you needed someone there was no one there. When I was alone in kindergarten you came into my life and made it better." He had already started crying and was barely standing, holding the microphone tightly.

Me trying not to cry while looking up. My eyes sucked back my tears like a vacuum cleaner.

"You were the best and now you're gone! Why the fuck did you leave, what about me?" He started aggressively walking towards the pit about to fall in then some police officers approached him and pulled him away.

"You didn't deserve it!" He screamed as they pulled him away.

Stephanie didn't have the courage to speak and neither did any of the others but I had made a decision.

"Are you sure?" Ethan asked me.
"One of us has to do it." I replied.

As I was walking up to the stage Mr. George stopped me.
"Be careful what you say! You've already done enough." He whispered, squeezing my arm.
I didn't reply I just pulled away and went up.

"Hello! My name is Celyn Flores...I'm new here so most of you probably don't know me. I've known Marcus for a couple of months and I can tell he was a good person with good heart. For those who don't know, Marcus was found dead on my birthday next to my house. Marcus helped me a lot during those two months. He had helped me to understand myself better. I remember something he had told me and since then it changed my life it wasn't something that serious specifically it was "nothing kills a person more than their own thoughts" That was the only thing that made me doubt it was murder but I knew inside of me he never committed."

I stayed silent for a while and then I made a decision that I would regret.

"I don't know who you are, I don't know what you want, I don't know if you'll kill again but one thing I do know is that I'm not afraid of you and when I find you because will I find you.." Before I could continue Mr. George came over and pulled out the microphone.
"Don't make it worse Celyn please just get off." He whispered to me.
"Why aren't you doing anything!" I yelled at him and he took me by the hand.
"Let go of me!" I shouted again and went to the microphone the rest of the group who had was also filled with adrenaline had climbed up and were all stopping cops from stopping me.

"I know you can see us! I hope you can hear me well...We are coming for you." I said menacingly.