Chapter 11: First Date

Meera

"I still can't believe you said that", Anvi Tai said as she wrapped Ahana.

"I can't believe I said that too", I said rubbing my forehead with my thumb and index finger.

"So after you told him that his mother could give your family a call about arranged marriage, you both didn't discuss anything else?", she asked as she focused back on her baby.

"No. I felt shy at my sudden agreement so I made some small talk and left soon", I confessed.

"Okay. Meera, I am glad you are opening your heart again", she replied.

We both were smiling at each other when my phone lit up.

Ved Prabhu Calling.........

I stared at my phone when Tai nudged me with her elbow and mouthed, "Pick up"

I cleared my throat and said, "Hello,.... Ved". A blush crept up my cheek.

"Hey Meera, can we talk?", his voice heavy. As if he just woke up.

"Yeah, sure. Go ahead"

"I haven't talked to my mom about reaching out yet", he told me hesitantly.

My stomach churned at the thought.

'Ohh' was all I could get out and I looked at Tai's excited face turning into worry.

"I didn't want to do this over the phone but Meera...",

"I know we had a hurried conversation yesterday and it might not feel right. It's okay if you want to back out", I interrupted him. The sadness already washing over me.

"Meera! What? No, wait. I wanted to ask you if you would like to have dinner with me tonight. I did not want to ask over the phone but it's the fastest thing I could do right now", Ved said firmly.

"Oh I thought you had changed your mind", I replied slowly as I realised my assumptions were wrong.

"Meera, First of all, I am sorry to ask you out on a date on a call. Second, I would be an idiot to hurt you. I don't think even Bappa will now make me change my mind", he chuckled.

My heart pounded at his confession. "Yes, I would love to go out with you". I smiled at Tai.

"I will pick you up at 7:00 pm is that alright?", His voice sounded like he was smiling.

"Yes. I'll see you then", I replied.

"Bye Meera!", Ved said.

"Bye Ved", I smiled as I hung up the call.

"Soooo?" Anvi Tai asked enthusiastically.

"He asked me out on a date", I squealed with excitement. "Oh, I didn't ask him about the location. What will I wear? Should I call him?", I looked at my phone and contemplated whether I should call him or not.

My phone pinged as I considered dialling.

Ved Prabhu: Wear a dress. Something long and comfortable.

"Tai, he just texted me", I said as I showed her the screen.

"I must say, he is thoughtful", She gleamed at me.

"I'll go tell Aai-baba about the date". Meera said and left the room.

I get ready in front of my mirror as the clock approaches 7:00. Smiling to myself as I think about the possibilities the future holds. Replaying Aai's reaction when I told her I was going on a date.