Chapter 05: The Birthday Disaster.

Ved

"Oh my God, I still can't wrap my head around the fact that you're getting married", I heard someone exclaim as I stood in the coffee room.

"That happened with me too. By the way, I didn't want to say this but you look half dead", The other women chuckled.

"Yeah, Nalini ma'am and Ved sir are running multiple things through me at once. But it's okay. It will settle down in a week", It was Meera. She said optimistically. I felt bad for putting her through such a workload so early.

I walk back into my cabin, and dial Nalini ma'am's number.

"Hello Ma'am, Good time to talk?", I ask.

"Yes, Ved. Tell me",

"I wanted to discuss sometime about my team. When can we meet?"

"Do you want to meet now? I am on my way to the canteen for a lunch break", Nalini ma'am asked over the call.

"Yes sure I'll see you in 5 mins", I replied.

"See you then, bye", she concluded and hung up.

I grab my wallet and walk out of my cabin. On my way to the elevator, I spot Meera and Rajani having their lunch in the coffee room.

"Hey", I said as I settled in front of Nalini, ma'am.

"Hello, yes you wanted to talk", she replied.

"So far the project has been going great. I wanted to ask you if we can manage Meera's workload a little. She didn't say anything but it's hardly been a few weeks since she joined", I said as I took a sip of my latte.

"Yes, I am sure it can be managed. I'll see what I can do. Thank you for bringing this up, Ved", she said optimistically.

Nalini Ma'am was in her late fifties. She was my father's colleague before she got hired at IFH.

"So Ved, I spoke to your mom recently." She took a pause. I knew what was coming.

"God, not you", I said groaning.

"She just feels now is a good time for you to get married", Nalini ma'am completed.

I pinched the bridge of my nose. Shutting my eyes close.

"At least tell her if you like someone", She enquired.

"I don't like anyone", I said trying to sound authentic.

"You and I both know that's a lie, Kiddo", She said getting up from her seat.

"You don't know anything", a blush crept on my cheeks.

"Her birthday is on 11th August. You can do something", Nalini ma'am never spared a chance to tease me.

"I don't know anything, what are you talking about?", I gave her a playful smile and waved bye.

I am pretty sure my mom will call by the end of the day.

"You can't tell your own mother, but you'll open up to my friend? Tell me who is she", I couldn't resist the smile curling up on my lips.

"I'll tell you when I know okay?" I tried to reason with my stubborn mother.

"Yeah. You better tell me or I am coming to your office", her firm threats worried me.

"I will come to you first. Also. I am coming over on Sunday", I reassured her desperately trying to change the topic.

That made her happy, "I'll make your favourite food. Neeti is coming over too with Aadarsh and my favourite grandson Soham", she said excitedly.