Chapter 09: Let me, Please.

Meera

"Here, I got you a latte. Thank you for helping me out yesterday", I said as I set the mug on Ved's desk. He looked different. Maybe because I have seen him without his blazer in a long time. His slightly bulky arms strained the sleeves as he moved his arms. His brown hair looked lighter in the evening sun. The rain had finally stopped and Surya Dev* made a graceful appearance. (Sun God*)

"Oh you didn't have to", he replied looking up from his papers. "Take a seat and it was no help. I'll be your alibi if something goes south", he said as a deep chuckle escaped his mouth. My lips couldn't help but go upward at his sight.

"Why exactly are you putting up with his torture anyways?", he asked as he took a sip of his latte.

"Actually, I did better than last time. He still thinks I am the same Meera from college", I spoke calculatedly, I wasn't sure how much I could share.

"You are hardly out of college. What's so different now?", he asked arranging his desk neatly. He frequently kept looking at me. I wore my favourite kurta today with a pair of jumka and bangles.

"I am not sure how much I could share with my boss and that too during working hours", I told him, awkwardly waving my hand in the air.

"I thought we're friends now", he pouted, giving me the most innocent look.

"You're cute", I said mirroring his action. Meera. What were you even thinking?

He sat straight and cleared his throat the moment I uttered those words.

"Oh, Ummmm......I mean yeah we're friends I guess", I said tucking my hair behind my ear.

"Well, do you want to grab coffee after?", he asked looking at his papers. Suddenly coffee with Ved sounded like a really good thing. But, I was nervous.

"Yes. I'll get going then", I said quickly getting up from the chair. I waved my hand a little too much. Because, before I could catch it, the latter mug crashed on the floor. A little bit of coffee and a lot of ceramic shards lay on the ground.

"I am so sorry", I immediately kneeled on the floor to pick them up.

Ved had already bent down and started to pick up the piece.

"It's okay. I'll call someone to help up clean this", he told me setting the big pieces on a rough paper. He moved a little forward as I passed him the shards in my hand. His shoe slipped on the previously spilled coffee and he lost his balance.

He rested his palm on the floor and a sharp wince escaped his mouth.

"Aahhh", he said bringing his palm in front of him. We both frantically stood up as we saw blood flowing out of his palm.

"Ved", I called his name to gain his attention. His hand shivered a little.

"It's okay, Meera", he said still not looking at me.

"Where is the first aid kit?", I asked him, panicking at the sight.

"It's fine Meera. Don't worry", he said touching my shoulder and trying to push me away from the shards.

"Let me take a look", I said as I opened all the drawers in a hurry.

"No", why won't he agree? He must have been stubborn growing up.

I opened a few more drawers and then finally found a medical kit laying in there.

I take his left hand and lead him to the other side of the table with two seats.

"Let me bandage your wound, Ved", I told him as I put sanitiser on my hands.

"No", he said again. My patience ran out as I took a step forward, pushing him enough and got trapped between the table and me.