I Fell Down The Stairs

Depuis le début

Again she disappeared.

They were deployed the next day, but when they returned, Ahsoka came back from her lessons the first day with a gash on her palm.

"I was carrying a glass bottle we had for a scientific lesson, and I dropped it. I tried to grab it but it shattered, and it cut me," Ahsoka explained.

And it never stopped. Never. Ahsoka had some sort of accident at least once a week. Sometimes up to three times a week. She'd trip, burn herself in lightsaber training, break things that would cut her, and she fell down the stairs at least fifteen more times.

And sure, accidents happened, and some people seemed to be more hazardous but... Ahsoka wasn't. She never showed any signs of clumsiness. Not when milling around their quarters, and certainly not in battle.

"Don't you think it's a little weird?" Anakin asked Obi-Wan one day, not liking the worry etched into his former master's features.

"How often does it happen?"

"A lot. Like, at least once or twice a week."

The concern deepened.

"What?" Anakin hissed.

Obi-Wan sighed. "It's never anything huge, is it?"

"No, just what you'd expect."

"Is it getting any worse?" Obi-Wan asked.

Anakin considered it for a moment, the memories of Ahsoka's accident-prone consequences flashing through his mind. "Yeah, sometimes. Some of them get pretty bad, like when she falls down the stairs."

"Anakin, I don't think she's falling down the stairs."

Anakin's stomach twisted. "You mean...?" he couldn't choke out the rest of the sentence.

"And how does she respond when you ask her what happens?" Obi-Wan asked, voice a little croaky.

"At first she would get super flushed and look all sheepish," Anakin forced the words out. "She just tells me now, as soon as she walks in. I just thought she got more comfortable with me...."

"Comfortable, yes," Obi-Wan agreed softly. "Comfortable with telling lies, once you believed her. And probably very good at telling them."

Anakin hated how it made so much sense. "Children are brutal...."

"You know they are," Obi-Wan whispered. "And they can be so deceptive as well. I can't think of anyone who would have reason to pick a fight with Ahsoka."

"She's not fighting back," Anakin decided. "Her knuckles are never swollen and she would definitely win a fight, so... oh stang."

Reality hurt.

"Why would she let them beat her up?" Anakin whispered.

"There are many reasons," Obi-Wan hummed. "And if you talk to her, she might be willing to share them." He gestured up at the chrono mounted on the wall, and Anakin shot out of his chair. Ahsoka should be getting back to their quarters right about now, and if he hurried he'd be able to catch her and sit her down before she slipped away.

Anakin tore down the hallway, ignoring the nasty looks of other Jedi as he thundered by. His heart raced with every step. And when he reeled around the corner, it dropped.

Ahsoka had paused in front of their quarter's door, fingers hovering reluctantly in front of the keypad. Her head whipped around and her eyes blew wide. Scarlett dripped from one of her lekku. Anakin's brow puckered.

"Master," Ahsoka breathed. "I, uh, didn't think I'd run into you here." The way she tilted her head away proved there was something on her lek she didn't want him to see.