29. Clap for Daddy

"My sister is the heir, not me," Aegon countered.  "What sort of brother steals his sister's birthright?" Only when Ser Criston convinced him that the princess must surely execute him and his brothers should she don the crown did Aegon waver.

 "Whilst any trueborn Targaryen yet lives, no Strong can ever hope to sit the Iron Throne," criston reminded him. "Rhaenyra has no choice but to take your heads if she wishes her bastards to rule after her. Take yours, your brother, your sons... Stella's. She wouldnt stop at Aemond, you have children Aegon. SHe would go after them all." It was this, and only this, that persuaded Aegon to accept the crown that the small council was offering him. 

Stella knew that Aegon had a soft heart, and she loved that about him. He played instruments to the kids at bedtime. He trained hard in the courtyard and loved rough in the sheets but he was a softie at heart. 

Stella smiled kissing him. 

"Glad you came around." Stella answered knowing that he was going to accept it no matter what, she would make sure of that.

"You got stella on your side... Well played." Otto remarked as Alicent approached.

"None of this is a game." Alicent seethed.

''And yet you treat it as one." Otto countered. "A charming contest, the... prize, a pouch of silver." Otto put down his cup as he moved across the room to her. "We have relied on one another these many years. And now it is the good of the family that we both desire. Whatever our differences, our hearts remain as one."

"Our hearts were never one. I see that now. Rather, I have been a piece that you moved about the board." Alicent corrected

''If that is true, then I made you Queen of the Seven Kingdoms. Would you have desired it otherwise?" otto retorted.

"How could I know? I wanted whatever you impressed upon me to want. And now the debt comes due. A debt you were happy enough to pay." Alicent reminded him stiffly.

"A sacrifice. A sacrifice made for the stability of the realm. No king has ever lived that hasn't had to forfeit the lives of a few to protect the many. Though I understand your squeamishness." Otto demanded

"Reluctance to murder is not a weakness!" Alicent spat. 'I have Aegon. We'll proceed now as I see fit.'' Alicent let out a heavy sigh. ''We will send terms to Rhaenyra on Dragonstone. True terms, such that she may accept without shame."

"If she lives, her allies will mass behind her banners, looking for her return."

"Then she must not return. My husband would have desired this mercy be shown to his daughter." Alicent said confidently.

"Your husband? Or you, his daughter's childhood companion?" Otto countered

"Criston Cole will be named Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. My son will be anointed tomorrow at dawn. The whole of King's Landing must witness his ascent. He will assume authority. There will be no more dithering. My son will take the crown of his namesake, the Conqueror, and carry Blackfyre, his sword. Let the people remember the ancient strength of House Targaryen."

"It's okay Aegon. Dont worry," Stella massaged his shoulders, wrapping her legs around him from behind. 

"It's just a lot of responsibility. Mother never thought-"

"She loves you. Your father loved you enough to name you his heir." 

"No one will believe it." 

"Yes they will because they want you as their king. They want us." Stella assured. She moved around him kissing him deeply before slipping out of her dress.