17| This Just Turned Bittersweet

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: This Just Turned Bittersweet

Charlie's POV:

"What do you think mijo?"

The question comes from my father who had just said something I was not paying attention to. I can't shake the look on Julie's face from when she fell moments ago out of my head.

I should've just taken her home myself and explained everything to her. But how exactly do explain to someone that you're dating that your parents have set you in an arranged marriage in the date and time? You just can't, it's plain out ridiculous.

To be completely honest I didn't think I would have to encounter Andrea Castro until after college. By then I'd have come up with a plan on how I wouldn't have to marry her. First I'd have to free myself out of this business which is already tricky as it is. Then there'd be no reason to marry her. But being freshly eighteen and still in high school my plan was still a work in progress. Dating Julie also involves other issues, specifically the inevitable pain I just caused her moments ago. I just can't think straight.

"Carlos?"

I look up and meet my father's eyes. He's giving me an annoyed look and I realize I still hadn't responded to him. What were we even talking about?

"I think it's a wonderful plan and definitely something Charlie and I can involve ourselves in as we begin to get more into the family business," says Andrea as she comes closer to me and wraps her hand around my arm. She smiles brightly at my father and his annoyance falters and he grins and laughs mightily.

"No doubt you will be the best nuera anyone can have. She's a bright one Diego," my father says patting her father's shoulder.

I shake out of her hold. She has a way of charming my father and all his business associates that we've spoken to thus far. She was made for this but I wasn't. I'm itching to leave. To go and talk to Julie. To see her and kiss her and -

"How suffocating," Andrea says interrupting my thoughts. Our parents have now moved on to talk to some other guests.

"Really? You look like you're enjoying yourself," I tell her.

"Oh, I am. I was actually talking about you. How suffocating it must be to so absorbed by your thoughts."

I roll my eyes at her.

"What could you be possibly thinking of that you can't even stay focused for one single conversation."

I don't respond.

"Oh that's right. Your girlfriend. What was her name...J..."

"Julie," I tell her, "and quit it. I don't find you amusing when you're like this."

"Geez you used to be fun last I saw you. Now you're so stiff."

"You know I hate these things."

"I do. And that's why I'm taking care of it. Once we marry I'll-"

"Are you joking right now?" I tell her. "You know that I was never planning to go through with that, I don't get why you're suddenly like this."